Do i need a window fitter or handyman?- reseal sill of windows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I have pretty old pvc windows which i cannot afford to replace, and on two of the upper level windows i noticed the putty is coming lose under the sill as per photo.
Strangely the lower levels have mortor, not putty underneath the sills.

I dont have ladders capable of reaching them to try myself- is resealing this a handyman job or do i need to go to a windows firm? i think it is a simple job but am unsure if it is more complicated than it looks (if it was lower level i would strip and apply fresh putty)

Thanks

1668956751070.png

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys

I have pretty old pvc windows which i cannot afford to replace, and on two of the upper level windows i noticed the putty is coming lose under the sill as per photo.
Strangely the lower levels have mortor, not putty underneath the sills.

I dont have ladders capable of reaching them to try myself- is resealing this a handyman job or do i need to go to a windows firm? i think it is a simple job but am unsure if it is more complicated than it looks (if it was lower level i would strip and apply fresh putty)

Thanks

View attachment 286216
A handyman can do that or a decorator.

the gap was probably smaller on the 1st floor hence why they used silicone / frame seal.

TBH, it’s not much of a deal if it wasn’t done, it’s unlikely to be a leak point…..it’ll just let air into the cavity.

A handyman can do that or a decorator.

the gap was probably smaller on the 1st floor hence why they used silicone / frame seal.

TBH, it’s not much of a deal if it wasn’t done, it’s unlikely to be a leak point…..it’ll just let air into the cavity.

Thanks, to be honest the side window which is over the flat garage is filthy since it does not open and i cannot easily clean it (i do not like heights and the step ladders i do have are a bit short for getting onto the garage roof) so i want the windows looking at, i had visions of the sill falling out or something :)

I will advertise for a handyman, thanks i appreciate the advice.

Look for a window doctor/upvc service and repair service engineer also, however anyone half decent with a silicone gun and a ladder could do it

Sponsored Links
Look for a window doctor/upvc service and repair service engineer also, however anyone half decent with a silicone gun and a ladder could do it
Cheers, i really would just do it myself on the ground floor.

I have asked for recommendations on a local community forum- i have had---- mixed luck with mybuilder and am reluctant to use them again.

I have a handyman interested, going to contact him in the morning
Before i do , with all the rain at the moment does he need to use a specific type of sealant that is tolerant to rain before it cures?

I have a handyman interested, going to contact him in the morning
Before i do , with all the rain at the moment does he need to use a specific type of sealant that is tolerant to rain before it cures?
Simple outdoor waterproof one will do

I am having hell on earth getting someone to do this, the handyman who was interested wanted to remove the whole window as he said it is dangerous going up such large ladders. Wanted hundreds of pounds. And to be fair there is a porch door underneath the window making the requirement longer for the ladders.

But the guy who put vents into the soffits a few months ago used a ladder and the vent is above that window? (the roofer who put the vents in did not want the job, he said he was busy)

Looking at the window picture there is a 2mm ish gap at the side of the sill that needs sealing, will i be soaking the cavity insulation waiting to get this fixed?

I thought it would be a simple 10 minute job for a roofer, to do inbetween his jobs for a quick couple of hundred quid, but it is proving tough ti find someone who doesnt want to remove the whole window.

I am having hell on earth getting someone to do this, the handyman who was interested wanted to remove the whole window as he said it is dangerous going up such large ladders. Wanted hundreds of pounds. And to be fair there is a porch door underneath the window making the requirement longer for the ladders.

But the guy who put vents into the soffits a few months ago used a ladder and the vent is above that window? (the roofer who put the vents in did not want the job, he said he was busy)

Looking at the window picture there is a 2mm ish gap at the side of the sill that needs sealing, will i be soaking the cavity insulation waiting to get this fixed?

I thought it would be a simple 10 minute job for a roofer, to do inbetween his jobs for a quick couple of hundred quid, but it is proving tough ti find someone who doesnt want to remove the whole window.
With no disrespect (if the answer is no) are you trolling? The handyman wanted to remove the entire window to, I presume, apply the sealant from the inside? Really?!? The fact they'd have to lean out pretty far to do a half decent job could be just as if not more dangerous than going up a ladder!

How high up is the window? A pic from further back would give an idea. I find it difficult to believe it can't be safely reached on a ladder unless the garden falls away quite dramatically or its a second floor window. Jeez, a window cleaner could probably do it for you if they're semi-competent at diy jobs.

Nope not trolling

Distance shot attached

Attachments

• window21.jpg
    window21.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 41

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back