do I need modem drivers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have re-installed windows xp pro on my friend's Compaq Presario laptop. I have re-connected it to the HG521router after loading the talktalk disc, but it does not connect to the internet.
What could the problem be please? also how should I go about putting it right?
I think I maybe should have backed up the drivers, but didn't. The Compaq site doesn't seem to have the necessary software. I'm not certain this is the problem, but if it is, I could use some help finding what I need.

many thanks
Neil

Sponsored Links
Hi Neil,

When you re-installed XP, did you install the Compaq driver for the wireless card? If so, and you have connected to the router then you need to see if you have an IP address:

Start
Run
cmd
Ipconfig /all

You should see an IP address, subnet mask and default gateway for the wireless connection. If your IP address is 169.254.187.96 you are not connected, it should be something like 192.168.0.1.

If all this is ok, go to internet explorer, tools, internet options. Click connections and ensure that never dial a connection is selected. Click lan settings, untick everything in here except automatically detect settings.

If all else fails, connect the pc to the router using a network lead. If you get internet now, then its likely to be a missing driver for your wireless card, send me the make and model of the PC and I will see if i can find them for you

Sponsored Links
Back