Do i need planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are looking to add a conservatory to the rear of the house.

There has already been been a two story side extension and front porch added to the house prior to us purchasing both with planning permission. The two story side extension is approx 25m2 of land space taken up. Porch around 10m2. Conservatory will be around 15m2. This will mean 3 sides of the house have some form of extensions/porch.
The remaining garden space after conservatory is around 100m2 and driveway around 30m2.

Can I add the conservatory under permitted development with no planning permission?

I'm confused as to how the 50% rule works.. is it 50% of the physical house walls can be covered by an extension, or 50% of the land IN TOTAL by area can be taken up?

If it's around the house as in area is irrelevant, then we are over. If it's 50% by area (so could go all the way around the house 1m2 if you wanted) then we are fine

I thought we were fine but then received some advice so I'm panicking!

Sponsored Links
Phone local planning at council. They will advise as always been helpful when I called.

The problem as I see it is if a neighbour complains.
Council rock up with tape measure which is a worry.
I've been told it's better to get planning permission then no there are no worries, but I guess its the added cost and hassle

The 50% of the land area restriction very rarely comes into play. The only exception tends to be where people want to extend at a terraced house where they have a very small back garden/ yard.

Basically as long as all of the extensions and additions that have been added since the house was originally built, plus the extension proposed (i.e. 25m2+10m2+15m2= 50m2) have a floor area totalling less than 50% of the area around the original dwelling house, then it will be PD. A further explanation is covered on p10 of the government's Technical Guidance document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...nt-rights-for-householders-technical-guidance

If the conservatory is attached to the two storey side extension at any point, however, it will require planning permission.

If it isn't attached to any previously built extension, or any side wall, then it will be PD as long as it complies with the depth and height limitations
(Depth of no more than 4m for a detached dwelling and 3m for a semi detached, height of no more than 4m and eaves height of no more than 3m)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back