Do I need this vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have this large vent in my kitchen. Is there anything stopping me from filling it in?

I get wind coming through the vent and I have no privacy as its like having an open window that I can't close.

I'd like to stay in line with building regulations/laws in case I sell the house in the future.

The kitchen has a combi boiler which has its own vent to the outside, there is also an extractor fan which does not vent to the outside but just filters internally. They are both on the opposite kitchen wall about 3 metres away.

Thanks

View media item 83636 View media item 83637

Sponsored Links
The vent must be there for a reason. Probably moisture extraction. I take it you have no mould or damp? Why not stretch some clingfilm over the vent and see what happens over the winter.

A 225mm x 225mm hit and miss vent should cover the opening and can be regulated as you wish

Do you have any gas or solid fuel range cooking or heating in the room. e.g. AGA, log burner, open fire etc?

Sponsored Links
Do you have any gas or solid fuel range cooking or heating in the room. e.g. AGA, log burner, open fire etc?

No, just the combi boiler which has its own outlet.

A 225mm x 225mm hit and miss vent should cover the opening and can be regulated as you wish

Good suggestion. This would fix the wind issue but not sure about how much it would affect the noise. I've had a look on wickes and they look pretty thin.

noise is caused by flow so no air flow should stop the noise in most circumstances

you also need to check there are no gas appliances in adjoining rooms that may need the airflow from the vent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back