Do I need to cross brace / back these cabinets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm making these two storage items from plywood for a friend. I'm planning to dowel them as they're for clothes / shoes so will be on show.

My problem is that they don't want them backed so I'm thinking there will be some left to right movements no matter how strong my dowel fixings are...

I was thinking of a metal cross brace like the ones ikea sell but they're too short for this and I can't find any other similar

So should I say it needs backing or is there another way to achieve the rigidity? I could back a couple of sections and fix those to the wall as a last resort.

Anyway as always any help greatly appreciated.

View media item 22694 View media item 22695

Sponsored Links
tell them there needs to be crossbracing off some sort

the left hand unit you could back only the bottom 2/3 but certainly at least 25% even if its in 2 bits

the right hand side be behind the second and bottom sections

just paint the backing the same colour as the wall ;)

also suggest you introduce a plinth 12mm higher than the skirting at the bottom to allow easy scribing to the skirting

dont forget if the bottom shelve is below skirting height stop the back off the shelve 20mm forward
and for the same reason attach the back to a shelve above the skirting height

Sponsored Links
Cheers chaps.

Agreed about BxQ, I can never bring myself to part with cash at their prices!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back