Do I need to resize the lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've been doing the front room and the lining paper was a bit of a hassle. Took off the old paper and made the walls good, filling, sanding etc then sized with the recommended mixture.

However, when it came to hanging the first run of lining paper (I'm cross lining) it virtually fell straight off again as the walls were so dry they sucked the adhesive straight off the paper!

I've resized all the wall again with 'neat' wall paper paste as I went a long and got the lining paper to stick. Now that it's had time to dry, it has stuck like sh!t to a blanket, so I'm not worried about it falling off any more.

My question though is, as I have had such thirsty walls and up to a point the paper was pretty thirsty too, should I re-size the lining paper before hanging the actual paper?

It just came up in conversation with my father that he'd lined, emulsioned and then hung his paper. Does the lining paper need to be sealed basically?

Any help welcome!

Cheers, Ben

Sponsored Links
Why not just patch the walls and forget about lining paper?

Whether you do or not you need Zinsser Gardz.

Already done the lining paper boss.

I was asking if in my situation of very thirsty walls if I should resize the lining paper? Will it suck the adhesive straight off the new paper, through the lining and into the wall?

Already done the lining paper boss.

I was asking if in my situation of very thirsty walls if I should resize the lining paper? Will it suck the adhesive straight off the new paper, through the lining and into the wall?

Sponsored Links
Using neat PVA to stick the wallpaper that is behind the rad is thought to improve matters, not that I have ever tried it. Not sure if you just use the PVA instead of the paste or as well as. A pro dec will be able to tell you (dcdec for example)

I would agree with your Dad, I tend to give Lining Paper a coat of basic thinned down matt Emulsion (Mist Coat) prior to hanging wallpaper it makes the wallpaper easier to work. Also shows up slight imperfections that can be rectified before hanging wallpaper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back