Do i need to seal tiles on front of house ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a few tiles on the front of my house as the previous ones didn't match and as you can, they were stuck on with cement/mortar
That said, but i have cleaned most of the old cement and mortar off now but some remains

HouseTiles.png

They are right in the middle hence i don't want to take off all the ones above to nail the replacements on so am planning to cement/mortar the replacements on also

Can anyone confirm whether i should prime or seal the tiles underneath with a PVA mixture first please to aid adhesion, and if so, what mixture to use please ?

Thanks in advance (y)

Sponsored Links
Personally I would stop going down the "bodge" route and do a proper job

So i have screwed the bottom 2 replacement tiles onto a new roof batten (screwed and plugged to the brickwork underneath where the black membrane is on the picture), as i can't get to the batten above to nail
the nibs are over the batten above so they are solid

Regarding the row above, i don't see it as a bodge having to mortar those 2 on, its more a sensible approach as otherwise, i would have to take hundreds off to nail 2 tiles on...i don't see that as a bodge, but a sensible use of time

If you are referring to the real bodge artists here, its whoever tiled the front of the house in the first place who could only be bothered to use a single nail on each tile when there are holes for 2, causing these to fall off or drop in the first place

I need to replace a few tiles on the front of my house

Can anyone confirm whether i should prime or seal the tiles underneath with a PVA mixture first please to aid adhesion, and if so, what mixture to use please ?

Thanks in advance (y)
No need for PVA

Sponsored Links
So i have screwed the bottom 2 replacement tiles onto a new roof batten (screwed and plugged to the brickwork underneath where the black membrane is on the picture), as i can't get to the batten above to nail
the nibs are over the batten above so they are solid

Regarding the row above, i don't see it as a bodge having to mortar those 2 on, its more a sensible approach as otherwise, i would have to take hundreds off to nail 2 tiles on...i don't see that as a bodge, but a sensible use of time

If you are referring to the real bodge artists here, its whoever tiled the front of the house in the first place who could only be bothered to use a single nail on each tile when there are holes for 2, causing these to fall off or drop in the first place

But you don't have to take hundreds off if they are held in place by one nail

But you don't have to take hundreds off if they are held in place by one nail

Not sure how else you would be able to do it without unless i'm missing something

I am missing tiles on row 1 (bottom) and row 2
To get to the batten used for row 1, you would have to take off tiles at row 3

So the situation would then have to be repeated all the way up due to the horizontal and vertical overlap

But you only need to get to one nail so it doesn't matter about the horizontal overlap so that means you can take off the tiles directly vertical above the damaged tiles without needing to remove anymore

You will be left with a vertical stripe of missing tiles once you get to the damages tiles , replace and reattach the tiles back up again

Start at the very top and work down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back