Do I need to service my boiler?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a second hand boiler installed - fitted by the builders when we had our extension done.

We had it looked @maybe 18 months ago. Someone came and repaired a few simple things that had stopped it from working.

I was wondering... should I get serviced?
Or am I throwing money away?
The boiler is maybe 10 years old.

Someone said I simply need to look after the magna cleaner and all will be OK?

Would be great to get an opinin.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Was the installation certified? It should have been serviced when installed if its that old. Yes get it looked at and have the installation gas safety certified.

Someone said I simply need to look after the magna cleaner and all will be OK?

That some one gave you incorrect advice which if you follow could put you and your family at risk of harm.

At least get a carbon monoxide alarm installed, but to be safe in the house get the boiler serviced by a GasSafe technician who knows that type of boiler.

Ive never heard of anybody having a 2nd hand boiler fitted.

Sponsored Links
We had a second hand boiler installed - fitted by the builders when we had our extension done.

We had it looked @maybe 18 months ago. Someone came and repaired a few simple things that had stopped it from working.

I was wondering... should I get service.

I had to heating engineers tell me not to bother servicing my boiler (both came recommended as friends of family etc).
Both said there was no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from that type of boiler (wife still made me put alarms up though).
Both said that a service would just involve taking it apart, tinkering and putting it back together, which might do more harm than good.
Both suggested just saving the £100 a year service and if it stops working, get a new boiler fitted. It lasted that way for 15 years before we moved house.
New house has a boiler in the loft, new in Jan 2017. Not been serviced yet ...

I had to heating engineers tell me not to bother servicing my boiler (both came recommended as friends of family etc).
Wrong advice - get it serviced and assessed, even more so given it's age
Both said there was no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from that type of boiler (wife still made me put alarms up though).
Plain wrong advice - there always a risk of CO internally when burning gas and air inside a building, the trick is to have the appliance serviced ever year to ensure it doesn't
Both said that a service would just involve taking it apart, tinkering and putting it back together, which might do more harm than good.
Plain wrong again - A proper service engineer shouldn't cause any issues there may be a seal or an electrode to replace but other than that if it was running fine before ....
Both suggested just saving the £100 a year service and if it stops working, get a new boiler fitted. It lasted that way for 15 years before we moved house.
what if it stops working next month??
New house has a boiler in the loft, new in Jan 2017. Not been serviced yet ...
Service once a year

"what if it stops working next month??"

Someone else's problem if he's moved house and he had £1500 towards a new one.

I know I am certainly not alone in not servicing the boiler either - one of my neighbours also hadn't serviced their boiler in the 14 years they were in the house.
All houses were built in 2002. I knew most neighbours, and not one person ever complained about a boiler breaking down.

New boiler is in the loft too. I've probably just opened another can of worms! It's not a combi.
Was installed by a local heating / plumbing firm. Then had the flue changed by a Gas Safe guy when the extension was added behind this wall (exhaust now goes up through roof)
and was signed off by building control.
So plenty have seen it, nobody said "OMG your boiler is in the loft!".
No felt in the roof (1930s house) so well ventilated. Didn't stop working when it was -5 winter before last either.

IMG_20180602_091349344.jpg

The problem with putting boilers in the loft , is that if there is a leak anywhere and it is a sealed system then the boiler will cut out as it is the highest point in the system, there are regs about putting boilers in lofts to ensure the safety of any one working on the boiler, personally I hate boilers in lofts but it is sometimes the only reasonable option

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back