Do I really need a circular saw, or will a jigsaw suffice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not household related, but still very relevant I think.

I'm planning a little stealth project in the boot of my car, involving concealing a couple of amplifiers with a false floor I will flashion out of mdf.

There are some contoured edges of the boot, that I plan to use a jigsaw on the mdf for, so it will fit flush, but there are also some straight edges as well. For this job do I really need a circular saw, or will I be still able to ahieve good results by jigsawing and then sanding?

Sponsored Links
A jigsaw will be fine but I wouldn’t use mdf in the boot of a car, if it gets wet it will be like a sponge!

If you run the jigsaw base along a batten clamped to the job you will get a smooth straight line new blade fine teeth.

Bodgeit and scarper ltd said:
A jigsaw will be fine but I wouldn’t use mdf in the boot of a car, if it gets wet it will be like a sponge!

Mdf has been used for years for this kind of installation in cars, it'll be fine.

Sponsored Links
OLD said:
If you run the jigsaw base along a batten clamped to the job you will get a smooth straight line new blade fine teeth.
Cheers, I'l bear that in mind.

freddymercurystwin said:
Mdf has been used for years for this kind of installation in cars, it'll be fine.
Yes, mdf is very common for this. I think if I got water in the boot I'd be more concerned about my amps than whether the mdf absorbed water or not. :LOL:

BennyBoy27 said:
OLD said:
Cheers, I'l bear that in mind.
check on a scrap of wood with your batton incase the jigsaw is crabbing at all[cutting at an angle to the base plate]

big-all said:
check on a scrap of wood with your batton incase the jigsaw is crabbing at all[cutting at an angle to the base plate]
okay, i will do. i'm going to have a first crack (no pun intended - *touches wood*) at the first phase of the job tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back