Do my metal faceplates need earthing?

Yes the twisted neutrals need a suitable connector/wago fitting.

If theres an earth terminal it must need to be earthed regardless of the plastic backer.
So why are the neutrals twisted together and there are two brown (live? ) wires connected to the switch? I thought live went to common and L1 would be connected to neutral

Sponsored Links
So why are the neutrals twisted together and there are two brown (live? ) wires connected to the switch? I thought live went to common and L1 would be connected to neutral
No the browns are correct 2 browns in com live in And out and switch wire in L1.

If you did Connect the neutral into L1 there would be a big bang.

That's not quite how lighting circuits work :)

Some examples here...

As above, the brown wiring you currently have is correct.

It is becoming more common for neutrals to be looped into the switch back box. This gives you the opportunity later on, to install items such as smart switches, that may require a neutral.
However, given the state of your wiring, we can not even say that those wires are neutrals - all we can say with confidence, is that they are blue! :)
It would be acceptable to fix all three blue wires into a separate terminal block. Simply twisting the wires together, is not an adequate way to maintain continuity of the circuit.

The fixes should be a simple DIY task , if you are up for it.

That's not quite how lighting circuits work :)

Some examples here...

As above, the brown wiring you currently have is correct.

It is becoming more common for neutrals to be looped into the switch back box. This gives you the opportunity later on, to install items such as smart switches, that may require a neutral.
However, given the state of your wiring, we can not even say that those wires are neutrals - all we can say with confidence, is that they are blue! :)
It would be acceptable to fix all three blue wires into a separate terminal block. Simply twisting the wires together, is not an adequate way to maintain continuity of the circuit.

The fixes should be a simple DIY task , if you are up for it.
I get it I think, live and neutral go across a load like a light or something not just a switch? Which would be a short circuit im guessing and go bang

Sponsored Links
Not all blue wires are connected to neutral.

Some are live. Such a conductor should be marked with brown sleeving to indicate it is no longer a neutral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back