Do New Tiles always mean a Felt Change? Roofer says yes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having some work done at the moment and the roof tiles are being changed from cement ones to clay tiles.

Originally we were quoted a price without a felt change being mentioned but now the roofers insist that the felt would become damaged regardless during a change of tile. That in turn means changing the batons.

Is this definitely the case or is there a realistic option to keep the felt and the batons? Both are presently in good condition. But obviously if a change of tile always creates considerable felt damage that would not be worth repairing, we'll change it too.

Sponsored Links
I find it very odd that they say the quote excludes felt and battens.

have they started work before telling you the increased price?

It is possible to renew tiles without renewing felt and battens, but whether the felt and battens require renewing is another matter.

If the tiles are at an age requiring renewal, then the battens and felt are most likely aged too.

In any case the first layer of felt would most likely need replacing as it would have rotted at the eaves - best replace this and fit some plastic eaves tray.

I agree though that it is most unusual for a roofer to quote on renewing tiles alone and not mention the felt or battens. At a minimum you should have been advised on possible replacement, and the roofer at least have allowed for the first layer.

If you have agreed to the quote, then the roofer must stick to it. An experienced roofer would have been aware of the possibility of damaging felt during tile removal, and should have forewarned you of this and any likely additional costs.

I would first ask him the cost of the extra work, and then only agree to paying half - on the basis that "an experienced and qualified person would have alerted you to the possible extra costs". But get his price first.

Obviously, if work has started then you are in a bit of a predicament. In this case you may have to agree the extra work, but agree in writing 'under protest' and keep written records, and then demand a refund afterwards or pursue a county court claim for the extra costs

Many thanks for the replies.

The change of tiles is a cosmetic one to a better looking tile (to match other work being done on the house); the actual condition of the roof/felt/battens was fine (no leaks or problems).

The thing is that now that the old tiles are off the roofer is keen to replace the felt as well, on the basis that changing tiles could cause extensive felt damage. The felt around the lowest batons (near the gutter) has already been replaced by them (and that's fine).

Question is, do we go along with the suggestion to change all the rest of the felt/battens (at £3000 unexpected extra cost) or insist that they leave the present felt/battens as in the original estimate?

Sponsored Links
To be very honest the existing felt IS very likely to get damaged.. it could be repaired but I personally would always price to renew felt on any strip and retile job.
I would however carefully consider the £3000.00 to refelt and batten unless you live in a mansion it sounds excessive..

One consideration is that clay tiles very, very rarely leak. Most pre and post war properties built with clay tiles did not have any underfelt at all. It could be said that felt is only really necessary to reduce draughts, or as a second line defence for concrete interlocking tiles.

Another option is to pay one or two days daywork rate (max £300) in order for them to take their time and make sure that they don't damage the felt in rushing about.

I would say that if they do a proper job, then even if that left a few nicks in the felt, it would not matter. For any bigger rip, they could slide a small section of felt under the lath in about 30 seconds

Either way, £3k sounds way too much for a typical sized house

you can make a lot of money from late changes.

Not a good situation to be in.
You can insist the old felt stays, they make holes, you get the blame.
Sounds to me like they have either dropped a clanger by failing to mention the possibility of the felt being brittle or they were after a bumped up price knowing you were up a creek without a paddle now the tiles are off.
Can you work out the area roughly, then you can get some sort of guide to see if their price is fair?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back