Do smart meters have inbuilt isolators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Which is not a surprise really. Given the pressure they are under to get them fitted, or at the least offered, to everyone - that's one way of meeting your target and dodging the fines.
Indeed.

However, you will realise that my point was that it's not quite true to say that getting a 'smart' meter cannot result in reduced costs (whereas changing supplier can), if one can only change to suppliers with the cheapest tariffs if one agrees to have a 'smart' meter!

Kind Regards, John

SM isolation does not provide a safe means of isolation to change the CU
As has been said, 'smart' meters do not contain 'switches' that can be locally operated.

In any event, as has been said (or, at least, implied) a relay with NC contacts (which is what these meters do contain) would never be acceptable as a means of safe isolation, for fairly obvious reasons, even if they could be locally operated.

Kind Regards, John

posts relating to a different problem have been moved away.
Hey, Ill fit the aforlinked isolater..lol

BTW what happens if it cannot get a signal? (like foil wrapping?)

Sponsored Links
It is obviously theoretically possible that smart meters could eventually result in some saving of cost, if it facilitates cheaper electricity at times of lowest demand, but that's not happening at present, and may well never happen (probably quite the converse!!).

Actually that has been implemented by Octopus Energy.

Yeah, John said that over a year and a half ago. Unfortunately the thread was brought back to life instead of a new one being started.
Sounds like a good reason not to accept a 'smart' meter. I should threaten the people who fitted the meter with legal action if they don't come and fix it. Not that it'll do a lot of good.

I'm not too sure why you're commenting on something I wrote nearly 18 months ago but, in any event, you may have overlooked my subsequent (again almost 18 months old) post ...
.... However, you will realise that my point was that it's not quite true to say that getting a 'smart' meter cannot result in reduced costs (whereas changing supplier can), if one can only change to suppliers with the cheapest tariffs if one agrees to have a 'smart' meter!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back