Do you need a room stat??????

Sponsored Links
JohnD";p="2298344 said:
If TRVs "are going to be installed" it is crazy that it was not done when the system was drained down to change the boiler.

This is a completely new system, new boiler, pipes and rads.
TRV's have been supplied but are currently sat it a box waiting to be fitted.
No room Stat anywhere to be seen, heating currently set on low (40-50) setting, running constantly.
Need to get some warmth into the house as has no CH for last 14 months.

Also when i say TRV's are sat in a box, the valve has been fitted but the stat part have not.

D.hailsham . the reg does not ask for a roomstat, it has been put on here enough times what is req.

Sponsored Links
D.hailsham . the reg does not ask for a roomstat, it has been put on here enough times what is req.
Might be a good idea if you read the regulations again. They were updated in October 2010.

Suggest you read the regs again or use a different search engine

A boiler must have an interlock a room stat is one way of providing it but it is not the only way it can be achieved .
A boiler such as a baxi solo HE which has a flow switch can be set up and have trvs on every rad without the need for a room stat .
There is several other boilers out there that can be fitted and wired like this as well as other ways of providing an INTERLOCK

Part L of Schedule 1 of the building regulations 2010 requires that ‘reasonable provision shall be made for the conservation of fuel and power by providing fixed building services that have effective controls’.

Approved Document L1B describes in its General Guidance that: ‘Whenever a fixed building service is extended or provided, reasonable provision would be demonstrated by following the guidance set out in the Domestic Building Services Compliance Guide.’ The latter specifies as minimum requirements for a gas-fired wet central heating system that:

a. Boiler based systems should have a boiler control interlock

b. The use of TRVs alone does not provide interlock

c. Dwellings up to 150m2 floor area should be divided into at least two space heating zones with independent temperature control.

d. Separate temperature control of zones within the dwelling using: room thermostats in all zones and individual radiator controls such as TRVs on all radiators other than in reference rooms and bathrooms.

Given the above, it would seem difficult for anyone to claim they are satisfying Part L of the building reg’s if they are not fitting a room stat.

Think u will find that namsag is correct , with ref to the Baxi solo , interlock can be provided by the flow switch & wiring the boiler as per baxi's MI's for a full trv system !!

mikely obviously you dont understand your own post
Tell me how you would fit a room stat on a boiler supplying a cylinder only as this still requires an INTERLOCK

mikely obviously you dont understand your own post
Tell me how you would fit a room stat on a boiler supplying a cylinder only as this still requires an INTERLOCK
I have been selective in my quoting of the Compliance Guide requirements to focus on room stats. The requirements of course also cover water heating zones and interlock.

And what are the odds of this install being a Baxi Solo HE?

What other interlock ideas have you got for space heating Namsag?

A frost stat?

I think what Namsag is trying to say Dan, is that a roomstat is not a compulsary req as you can provide "interlock" using other means, advanced controls for one,
though in the ops case I would say its more than likely he does need one

for example there are very very few roomstats I come across these days in the sector that I work in that are interlocked with the boiler they act on ufh manifold actuators but don't control the boilers.
the boilers being controlled via bms/compensators/optimisers all of which are classed as interlocks

Matt

Dan its got nothing to do with the odds there is several boilers out there with flow switches on them that allow the part L regs to met in a different way to what is normally used.
Its to do with people who where making wrong comments before they even knew what boiler was being fitted .

What other ways is there of achieving interlocks , surely you covered this when you sat your part L exam several years ago?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back