Do You still Use Your Landline Phone?

Reaction score
Country
Palau
We use often and frequently as we have the full calls package with Sky.
It is more reiable and we often give the landline number as our main number as if we miss a call goes to voice mail or we get the call. With our mobiles, it is hit and miss and at times many times my mobile misses calls ie does not ring on-call or watsapp, texts and it is only when i pick it up i note the call.

A lot of older people prefer landlines. However, on mobiles, as you know you can get your calls on the move. When we are out, at times we check the landline voice mailbox from our mobiles.

With landlines, you almost always get good reception as where we live or possibly the way i hold my mobile or the type it is the reception is not always clear.

We do get regular calls from fraudsters on our landline but that does not worry us but that happens less frequently on the mobile. Possibly because the number we have on the LL was the number the elderly couple had to the property we live in as often they ask for them by name.

Sponsored Links
the mother in law rings the home phone :D

actually the home phone is used most for internal calls -we have 4 phones, kitchen, lounge, upstairs office, garden office / cabin -my wife al always calling me when Im in the garden office

I keep mine because it looks good for business. Too many fly by nights with breaking bad phones out there. I like top give the customer some reassurance.

Funny thing; had a reason to plug a phone into the landline a few months back (first time for yonks) and found it wasn't working. It comes with the TV and broadband and is the same cable. I called Virgin and they came out and tested it - problem with cable apparently. As it happens the front of the house is up at the moment for new paving and a driveway - where the cable runs is the driveway bit. They installed a new cable from the house, across the driveway into the junction across the road. It's the latest fancy-pants cable. I hadn't realised how slow the broadband had been running. When I say slow it's Virgin's M350 thingy so not really slow, just slower than it should have been, but not so slow you'd notice without something to compare it to. Well, it ain't slow any more. Landline phone is now unplugged again, but glad I plugged it in on that occasion. I'd have been a bit miffed if it was discovered after the driveway went back down.

Sponsored Links
You remind me of our old house, we had phones everywhere, 6 in all wanted more but something to do with what the line could handle and type of phones.
the best one was next to the 2 seat sofa on the wall beside it with an extra long cord, long chats on that.

Re business, excellent point and i will only call, contact a builder etc if they have a non 0800 landline.

Have a LL with our internet but no call package. Only use our landline when family call us or phoning an 0800 number. Mobiles for all calls out as we both have unlimited minutes. Patchy reception sometimes on mobiles in our house but as we are on 'Three' the iPhones automatically switch to Wifi calling. Handy in the Peak District too as often there's been no signal in some of the cottages we've rented but with Wifi calling we get good, clear calls. Having to make a load of calls to Spain at the moment as we are selling a property out there so bought a Lebara PAYG sim last week. Used it loads but still only spent 33p so far!

Hardly ever use mine. I answer it sometimes, but it is almost always scammers.
Although, we do get an occasional call from the doctors or kids' dentist, which is annoying.

I prefer a land line as a call from land line to land line is very likely to be duplex conversation where as most calls involving a mobile will be a simplex conversion.

Duplex = speech paths in both directions are open all the time

Simplex = only one speech path / direction is open at a time.

Simplex deletes some of the finer points of a conversation, the speaker cannot hear the listener's comments until the speaker stop talking.

For example a deep intake of breath when the speaker says something that irritates the listener.

Looks as if the "improved" fibre optic VoIP phone service will be simplex,

That Daily Fail article is full of carp. Sensational and completely misleading.

Landlines are not being scrapped in three years.

Old tech copper lines are, but the landline will live on using VOIP.

The DM are always prepared to bend the truth to try and drum up more views.

£3 package with talk talk sim only 200mins lots off data use about 1-5% each month
home phone £5 for unlimited calls not used except xmass when 8 year old mobile packed up so cancelled again after phone donated by my son carrying on with £3 sim

And as far as I can tell, my VOIP-based landline is duplex.

Plus, you can make a call when there is another call already in progress.

Also, my mobile has WiFi calling enabled and my provider supports this, so if I have a bad signal, calls are directed through my router.

Sponsored Links
Back