Doctors Appointments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just phoned my doctors surgery to request an appointment and have been told that the next available appointment is for two weeks today. :rolleyes:

Obviously this is not acceptable.

People with ailments shouldn't have to wait for 2 weeks surely.

Anyone else experienced this? :(

Sponsored Links
All the time mate. It normally takes twenty minutes just to get through on the phone.

a lot off places only book appointments on the day at open off surgery
in other words phone on monday and you may get an appointment on monday

some slots will be booked in advanced but they go quick leaving the rest for calls on the day

this is done to meet government targets off being seen within 48hrs or what ever it is

Never had a problem myself...

Just say its 'urgent' and don't take no for an answer!

Sponsored Links
Or just go to the nearest casualty department. Everyone else seems to do!

Mind you, you'll end up sitting and waiting for four hours. My wife and I did when she had broken her ankle.

I think one of the few exceptions would be if you are dying, in which case they might see you straight away.

Its atrocious that we now have to exaggerate our ailments to be able to see a GP. No wonder our A&E depts are being overwhelmed by relatively minor cases.

I agree with a recent suggestion of placing GPs within an A&E dept to manage these types of cases.

I think you're right, though. The big problem is getting past the immovable barrier of the receptionist who, as everyone must know by now, is more highly skilled than the doctor.

I don't have a problem,can ring up in the morning before 9 and can get an appointment the same day,mind I'm in remission don't know if that as a bearing.

I think you're right, though. The big problem is getting past the immovable barrier of the receptionist who, as everyone must know by now, is more highly skilled than the doctor.
highly skilled in bullshit?

On the evening of Monday July 7th, I called in the surgery to make an appointment. I was offered Thursday July 24th, which I accepted <quote> if I am still alive <end quote>.

I know I could have pressed for an emergency appointment, but I should not need to do that.

When I was an in-patient last year, the SHO asked if my doctor was easy to contact. My reply, that the main difficulty was getting past the Rottweiler on the front desk, was met with a wry smile, and a tacit nod of understanding!

It is because of this that vulnerable people are ending up in one of two places, the hospital or the undertaker's, and A&E departments are bursting at the seams.

When I was young (fifty plus years ago), if you needed to see the doctor, you went to the surgery and sat in a queue until your turn came around. The doctor stayed until everyone who had "booked in" had been seen.

When I was a lad, doctors appointments could be made wither in person or over the phone, Usually you'd be seen within 2 days. Nowadays I have to phone the surgery, spot on 8 o clock, wait ten minutes in a queue, listening to "Your call is important to us. Our operators know you are in a queue." Then when you eventually get past the recorded message, the receptionist tells you "Sorry, all appointments today have now been taken." You then ask if you can make an appointment for tomorrow, only to be told to phone back at 8 o clock the following morning,, for more of the same sh*t.

highly skilled in bulls**t?

Highly skilled in pig-headed obstruction, more like, and full of their self-importance.

ring up ask for an appointment,no luck then ask for a home visit asap.
amazing how all of a sudden a appointment suddenly becomes available. ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Inevitable consequence of the "Abuse of our staff will not be tolerated" signage (which is perfectly fair).

Fine for warning potential accosters (who, by definition, wouldn't take a blind bit of notice anyway) but, if you wish to politely voice your angst at being treated and spoken to like a retarded amoeba, they'll have you booted off "their" list.

Like parking nazis.

Sponsored Links
Back