dodgy garage advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bolt in gear selector dropped out and went in to gear box on 2 october. paid 300+ pounds to get gearbox stripped and put back. today gear selector bolt has come out again but this time the garage are saying it needs a new selector as the threads must have been damaged but the first bolt.
question is. is it there fault for sticking a new bolt in a damaged selector (i think the guy should be able to tell if the treads aint in ,i can when i have crossthreaded stuff.
and how do i get my van back without paying till dispuit is sloved.
van is undrivable and got towed to garage, told garage to repair as i need my van and would have to pay if i went anywhere else
thanks neil

Sponsored Links
This is a most unusual and uncommon fault, and I think the garage should have inspected both parts very carefully, and at the very least secured the pinch bolt with a thread locking compound.
The reason for failure was probably overtightening at the factory, thus compromising the pinch bolt thread. A new selector fork and pinch bolt should have been fitted.
At the end of the day, you paid for a repair that failed in a very short time, and thats not acceptable.
Presumably the garage didn't explain that there could have been a mitigating circumstance component wise, when the box was stripped?
John :)

£300 isn't to bad, sounds to me as though they were trying to keep the cost of repair as low as possible.
Yes, all new parts would have been the preferred option, but you wouldn't be talking that sort of money.
Seen it time and time again the smaller garage tries to keep things reasonable, only to get it thrown back in their face when things don't work out.
The larger garage wouldn't even take to lid off the top of the gearbox, it would be a replacement unit, with a bill to match.

Sorry but that's the reality

Over my numerous years buying new cars I've had two gearbox failures.....to my amazement, both were repaired rather than replaced which was a huge surprise.
The first was on a 1996 Fiat Bravo or something - piece of garbage - and it pi$$ed oil afterwards.
The second was the Audi A1 that I have now, but they couldn't (wouldn't) tell me what was wrong. The car was 6 months old when I bought it, and if it has any future issues they can have it back.
300 quid is very reasonable for that sort of work....I'm not even sure how to source gearbox internals these days - usually its 'hoy a new box in'.

Sponsored Links
i don't begrudge paying for the gear box to be stripped and the bolt removed i paid up for that fair deal job done. to have the same problem 20 days later then to be told is another 200 + vat for a new selector stinks a bit.
the bolt was put back in with a thread lock in (i asked so i knew the bolt wouldn't drop out again).
surely it is possible to tell weather the bolt is secure.

End of the day they are the professionals and should have demonstrated the required skill to recognise that the bolt didn't tighten correctly originally.

The original repair was covered by the Sale of Goods and Services Acts and to fail so quickly repair was not properly done the first time. The most you should be expected to pay should be the cost of the extra parts as they should have been fitted at the outset.

Garage should also be providing a replacement van whilst yours is off the road as a result of their failings. Incidentally what vehicle was it?

If thread lock won't hold the bolt, then there's a fault with the threads themselves somewhere.....usually the selector bolts pass into a shaft indent anyway which helps positioning and security.
As Alan says - pay for the new bits but the labour charge is down to them.

You didn't end up with my daughters old Nissan Primastar (Reg S555 mgs) did you ?

She had exactly the same problem. She got it fixed and it happened again. Took it back to the garage and they said the same thing as yours did.

They did some kind of repair and then she got shot of it !

Sponsored Links
Back