Contract Hire Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Ill try and make a long story short.

Have had a van on contract from Low Cost Vans for 2 years which went back on the 10th August, same day they delivered a new van on a 3 year contract.

The new van was delivered with significant clearcoat scratches, some scuffs and an area of paintwork which has been damaged by Bird Poo. I was p**sed off, blew my top at LCV but found myself in a position that if i rejected the van then i would have to hire one at a cost to myself until this matter could be sorted out or let down my customers.

I photographed all the damage and sent the evidence with my acceptance form. LCV promised they would look into the matter and sort it out. They eventually came back with " Take the van for a proffessional valet, if you pay for it upfront we'll reimburse you".

Polishing a turd came to mind, so i took it to a ford approved garage asked for the cost of a valet, the body shop manager said that a valet wouldnt make alot of difference and it really needed a mechanical polish £300 and the door with the bird poo " a respray £600. So i told LCV to speak to the garage. That was three weeks ago.

Today LCV called me and told me the dealer that supplied the van are contesting the cost and arent prepared to pay, but as an alternative would like to collect the van take it back to their dealership and access the damage. But couldnt offer a replacement in the meantime.

Completly bl**dy ridiculous, so i said no, im self employed and very very busy, i dont need the stress tbh. So LCV said why dont you pop it into a garage have a valet done pay for it and we'll reimburse you, then if you can photograph any damage thats left on the van that your not happy with then forward this to us we can assess it from there.

If i take it for a Valet ill have to take a day off work £200 gone, plus all of the aggro past and present. I am quite close to driving it to Wales handing the keys over and telling them to poke it.

Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Bird poo can be a pain but it certainly shouldn't need any respraying. What you need to do is find a good local detailer to you. Forget valeting and forget going to big garages, you want a good professional local detailer. Where abouts in Kent are you? I can certainly recommend KDS Keltic in Gillingham. They are one of the best detailing firms in the country and certainly not the cheapest. If that doesn't work for you, Google local detailers to you and see if you can find someone who sounds like they know what they are doing. Avoid anyone who uses the term "mop"... The other problem is they are going to need your van for at least a day. But if you find a good local independent, he may be able or willing to do it on a weekend for you.

Are you mainly bothered about the look of the vehicle or the possibility of having to pay for damage at the end of contract ?

TBH I think it was more the fact I had just spent a small fortune having the existing contract hire van detailed before its return. Side by side as they were the 16 plate looked like it should have the 18 plate on it and vice versa.
Its principle with me more than anything and all of my work is about "finish", so I suppose because I have to give all of my customers near on perfection, I then expected somewhere near this with a Brand New Van.

Yes the return is a concern, but tbh I don't think they would have a leg to stand on given the condition it was delivered in.

I haven't managed to get it proffessionaly washed yet which is what LCV has stipulated I need to do, they seem to think, I can just pop into the garage for the day, but don't look at the wider issues such as loosing a days money and then putting myself behind in my work. Whole thing just pi**es me off.

Sponsored Links
Ask for compensation - this seems like the best option and allows you to carry on using it. If they refuse give them the option of a replacement or refund. You might need to call their bluff.

Unfortunately, you aren't likely to be protected by consumer rights which would entitle you to costs during repair if they didn't provide a courtesy vehicle.

Back