can I prove I fitted a PCB to a vaillant 242 ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was recently carrying out some contract work when the office for the firm I was/ am? contracting for called to ask if I would buy and fit a PCB for a 242/1e.
The customer said vaillant had diagnosed it and wanted us to fit it.
I was a bit weary as I hadn't diagnosed it and asked if I could first look at it myself, the customer insisted the pcb was faulty as vaillant had said, so reluctently I supplied and fitted the board at a cost of £148.86.
Needless to say this was not the fault, and after talking to him he told me CH was fine but he had no DHW.
After linking out the flow or pressure diff switch the boiler fired up.
After the job was completed I invoiced the firm for the work and believed all was ok as I had authorised the cost before completing the work, but, as the customer only had a £300 excess he decided to say I only installed the flow switch, now I must prove the board was installed, because stupidly I forget to make him sign a recipt of works undertaken and the firm need proof before they pay me for the board and the labour.
Do the original pcb's have a serial NO. specific to the boiler that will match the old (original)one in my van????.

Sponsored Links
Send them a copy of your recipt for the board and threaten with the small claims court. If it goes to the court tell your story exactly as you have us, you should win. Since you ordered the pcb in advance it is obvious the customer you demanded it. You have suficient evidence that the customer is crafty. The judge will believe you as the customer has a motive to lie and you have no motive to order unnecesary pcbs before you even see a job.. Keep the old pcb because an expert could prove should the judge ask for one that it has been used. If you had not used your new pcb you would have a pocb to produce which has not been used. You do not have that you have a used one.. don't lose it, as it is your most substantial evidence..

The second piece of evidence is you get 10 of your previous customers to state your usual working practice. This will back up your statement in demonstrating the unusual relationship you had with this one of type of customer, and why this customer is not a reliable witness.

Thanks,
I think they have sent another engineer to look at it and see if I have fitted the board, how ever, they could simply lie and say they sent one, they have agreed to let me send an independent engineer myself, but it might have to a lesson learnt......an expensive one lol

Sponsored Links
Thanks,
I think they have sent another engineer to look at it and see if I have fitted the board, how ever, they could simply lie and say they sent one, they have agreed to let me send an independent engineer myself, but it might have to a lesson learnt......an expensive one lol

If they rule against you write to the customer put the ball in their court and send the company you did it for a copy. Firstly invoice the customer. At the same time inform the customer that after the time you give them to pay the invoice you shall take him/her to the small claims court on the grounds I spelled out above.

Start your letter with "Please read this very carefully"

and finish it with "we will not be writing to you about this again"

The inference being they have had the warning they know what to do and in the fulness of time you will take the action you have spelled out.

Send registered letter to office with final demand for full payment, and put also in the letter that this is the last demand before legal action.
Offer a 20% discount for paying within 1 week.
If no payment after 10 days, give the case to a good debtcollector, there is one recommended on the forum.

Add your name to the list of people who do not work for builders, contractors, agents or developers, and from now on also ask for considerable deposit before working for landlords.

yes don't be put off! I make an issue of chasing every bad debt, be it 30 pounds or 200! look at it this why if you don't they wont learn there lesson. If they don't learn there lesson, they will do it again and it will be one of us getting the treatment.

Putting people in court is very easy and if they do value there credit a CCJ will destory it. Obviously not everyone cares, did they look like they have the money? You can claim costs, interest etc so go for it!! :D :D

Send registered letter to office with final demand for full payment, and put also in the letter that this is the last demand before legal action.
Keep it as short as possible, cool and professional, as if you can barely spare the time to write it.
Offer a 20% discount for paying within 1 week.
If no payment after 10 days, give the case to a good debtcollector, there is one recommended on the forum.

Add your name to the list of people who do not work for builders, contractors, agents or developers, and from now on also ask for considerable deposit before working for landlords.

I am on that list.

Many of us have been burned and many more shall be burned as the recession bights.

There are several lessons to be learned here.

However, to work on boilers you should be gas registered and ask for access to the Combustion Chamber part of this site by giving your details to admin@diynot.

If you can make a posting there or if anyone else copies this to the CC then I will reply there as its not appropriate in an open forum.

Tony

You lost me this time Tony; what is the problem discussing debt collection in the open section?

Anybody who is planning to get work done without paying is welcome to know I will never stop haunting them.

Unless an unfortunate accident stops them from earning money, in which case it would be pointless until they had recovered.

It is a real possibility; amazingly dangerous place, London is.
All sorts of things happen: hit and run, drunk drivers, burglaries going wrong, robberies. Terrible isn't it.

Thanks,
Sounds like court then, I'll try sending the letters first to see if they have a change of heart but then I'll have to go to the small clims court..

what was the part number you fitted and do you have the old box?

Ive got the old board in the box the new 1 came in, bubble wrapped with the reciept tucked in aswell

Ive got the old board in the box the new 1 came in, bubble wrapped with the reciept tucked in aswell
I reckon that would go a long way to convincing the court, especially if you have corresponding jobsheet/entry in diary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back