Van noisy after new prop shaft installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got an 02 reg Nissan Vanette which had a lot of wear on the prop shaft and was causing a major judder going through the gears. Was quoted £600 from a Nissan garage - managed to get a new one off the internet for £80 and had it fitted for £45. This is the simple bolt on type so nothing major (or so three different mechanics had told me in conversation).

Drove it back from the garage and I can hear a distinct whirring/whistling sound and a slight scratching. But the van drives fine, much better than before. The noise only starts as the van gets to around 20mph and then increases.

So do new prop shafts have to run themselves in and are these noises not unexpected or should I march back into the garage to ask him to sort it?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Chances are they'll blame it on the "new" prop shaft that YOU supplied. I'd imagine they'll only gaurantee their work, not YOUR part. But it's worth going back to see what they do say.

see if it has a support on the prop. If it has, there will be a bearing running inside it which could be the problem

I think the Vaneete has a very short prop, because the engine is mounted quite far back. Can't remember if it has a support or not.

Sponsored Links
The old favourite with prop shafts was incorrect alignment between the front and rear UJs, but that usually resulted in knocking and juddering as the torsional vibration damper worked overtime.

Unless the old prop rattling about made it's mark on the gearbox or axle bearings....

Back