Dodgy lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Original 1939s lintel obviously not installed very well. Do I chop back the bricks either side and completely replace with a longer lintel or remove the 2 overhang bricks and install new lintel under the original

Attachments

• IMG_20240214_090008_455.jpg
    IMG_20240214_090008_455.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20240214_090021_579.jpg
    IMG_20240214_090021_579.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Are you sure that's original?
In fact, are you sure some bright spark hasn't "" widened the opening removing the lintel supports?

Are you sure that's original?
In fact, are you sure some bright spark hasn't "" widened the opening removing the lintel supports?
Yes I'm sure as there are no cut bricks so must have been fitted when house was built

I beg to differ.
I can see different bricks around the opening, so at one point someone has widened it.

Sponsored Links
One option would be to key in bricks so to give support to existing lintel, but opening would be reduced by 8 inches.

One option would be to key in bricks so to give support to existing lintel, but opening would be reduced by 8 inches.
I did consider this but thought that the option of inserting new lintel under original would probably be easier

You could bed in a 50 x 5 x 215 length of ms underneath each overhang brick and this would more than suffice in supporting the weight of brickwork/conc that is resting on the overhang brick

You could bed in a 50 x 5 x 215 length of ms underneath each overhang brick and this would more than suffice in supporting the weight of brickwork/conc that is resting on the overhang brick
Do you mean mild steel plate into the joint of the overhanging bricks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back