Dodgy looking wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

a friend has just moved house and it seems the previous owner did a lot of the work himself. In a cupboard this wiring was left exposed. Could anyone give me advice on what she should have done about it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
For aesthetics and safety from accidental damage, then clipping to the wall or containment by boxing/trunking would be better, though the photograph doesn't show much more than some wires going top to bottom.

pj

Where's that green/yellow cabling going to (and from), noting that the plumbing looks like plastic pushfit?

Sponsored Links
Is that an old airing cupboard? (guessing at the plaster marks being the various platforms for towels etc?

If so, might she have bought a place that has had the loft converted?

Reason I ask is that a fitter may have run a pair of cables for the ring circuit, another cable for the lighting- all done when the cupboard was populated with slates for shelves.

As mentioned I'd simply buy so pvc trunking MT4 and hid the cables in that. The green yellow earth is interesting, is the boiler or a shower room above?

I think it's an airing cupboard ,yep. Also , I think the boiler may be just around the corner and the shower is directly above, so will check that out.

The loft hasn't been converted though, no.

Thanks

Sorry about the poor spelling, iPad finger issues!

So that means the thicker cable would serve the electric shower. It's looks like 10mm.

The others are harder to call, what confuses me is that I thought the airing cupboard was at 1st floor level, yet there's no 2nd floor / loft conversion but you say there is a shower upstairs.

What floor is the picture taken?

AH,sorry - it's on the ground floor. I guess it was an old larder or something previously.

As well as securing the cables I'd be a bit concerned about those water pipes.
If one of those joints springs apart, and they do, then you will have one hell of a mess.
Especially if the house is empty at the time!
That earth wire looks as though it may be a cross bonding between the shower, upstairs, and whatever is on the other side of that wall. Possibly a boiler.

As well as securing the cables I'd be a bit concerned about those water pipes.
If one of those joints springs apart, and they do, then you will have one hell of a mess.
Especially if the house is empty at the time!
That earth wire looks as though it may be a cross bonding between the shower, upstairs, and whatever is on the other side of that wall. Possibly a boiler.

Thanks - what would that be a job for a plumber or something we could do our selves?

Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back