Ring main and lighting off a single circuit?

AL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone i know has moved into a new house that has had various dodgy mods by the previous owner. She says that the Upstairs ring main and lighting circuit are one? i.e. there is one MCB for both the upstairs ring main and the lighting circuit. I thought these were normally seperate? Is this a bit dodgy or am i mistaken?

I haven't seen it for myself yet but i don't know what has been done by the professionals and what the previous owner has done himself.

TIA

AL

Sponsored Links
its well didgy, but i bet it isn't as your friend thinks.

test it and see.

turn it off and see do lights still work or do sockets still work

Like you say it's probably not the case (i hope) probably badly labled consumer unit, the label says lighting and upstairs power? i'll see for myself when i'm over there at the weekend. I hope it is okay, i witnessed holes punched in the ceiling with trunking coming down from the lighting circuit to supply a power socket which had a plug in it going to an extension leading outside powering the outside lights on the pation and another socket in the shed. If that ain't dodgy i don't know what is! I think she needs a spark to check the whole house over!

AL

Sponsored Links
have you seen the yellow pages advert with the guy trying to fit a car stereo and he doesn't have a clue so his mrs calls in a pro, hes goes to press the door bell and there's wires everywhere, so instead knocks on the door? :) that's what this house is like, and then some :LOL:

AL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back