Dodgy part of re-wire work found, advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

We had a full house re-wire done around a year ago by a local company registered with the NICEIC. It was supposed to take a week but ended up being 5 with the guy who did it not on the job more than 3 days in any week. At the time this annoyed us but we struggled through and were in the main happy with the work.

So, fast forward to today when, whilst cleaning out the garage I noticed the cable that runs into the garage for a double socket/fused strip light. It has clearly been fed in to close to the corrugated roof and, I guess due to natural sideways movement, has damaged the cable. I have naturally switched off the breaker and propped up the roof a little with an off cut of wood (as can be seen in the picture).

So, to my question. Should I be contacting the company who did the work to moan? Would it be right to expect them to fix the issue free of charge? If they are awkward and, after given enough time/nagging, would my next move be to lodge a complaint with the NICEIC?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice!

Ste

[/img]

Sponsored Links
You picture isn't very clear, but that looks like rodent damage to me.

Oh...can this happen 7 feet up? It is at the exact point where the cable rubs against the roof also...would be very surprised if a little begger could get its teeth in there!

Sponsored Links
Did you pull the cable through before taking the pic.? Must agree it does look like pest damage especially as there are 2 areas of the cable showing damage. That will probably be their excuse, but there is no harm in asking politely for them to inspect it & give their opinion.

No, the first picture was taken in situ. Have just pulled the cable though into the light to take some more pictures. Obviously you chaps have seen far more of this sort of thing than I have so I will bow down to your expert opinions! I do not want to get the firm in question in any trouble as such, just want to protect my family/other home owners with potentially dangerous work.

It is only the outer sheath that is damaged, so will I be able to wrap some electrical tape round the area as a fix? Or should the entire length be replaced?

Thanks again!

Ste

Your second picture does seem to indicate crush damage. As I said, there is no harm in asking them what their opinion is, if it was me I would repair it at no charge as a gesture of good will if waranty had expired. There really is no need to "moan".

Your second picture does seem to indicate crush damage. As I said, there is no harm in asking them what their opinion is, if it was me I would repair it at no charge as a gesture of good will if waranty had expired. There really is no need to "moan".
Does look crushed.

If the firm who did the work don't cooperate, it might be worth reminding them that the cable was not installed in compliance with 522-06, and that the EIC was therefore falsified, and the claim for payment for the work was fraudulent.

Wiring systems shall be selected and erected so as to minimize the damage arising from mechanical stress, e.g. by impact, abrasion, penetration, tension or compression during installation, use or maintainance.

A wiring system shall be selected and erected to avoid during installation, use or maintainence, damage to the sheath or insulation of cables and their terminations.

I do try to breath a little sunshine into peoples lives from time to time.

And try out the camera on my new Nokia N95 :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back