Dodgy wiring or timer gone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,, the light went in my bathroom and after checking a wire had come loose.
I put it back where I presumed it should go and now the bathroom extractor fan is permanently on.
I did then have a look and see if I had it wired to be permanently on but i think its ok. So maybe the timer has just gone.

I'd appreciate it if someone kind soul could have a look at the pic and just confirm.

fajocaabf.jpg

Thanks.

I've edited the BBCode for your picture
Mod 8

Sponsored Links
Do you know which wire you altered?

It looks to me that the yellow may be in the wrong place if the fan is wired as a normal timer fan.

Is there any chance you could post a picture of the connections at the fan end aswell?

yes,,sorry have since moved the yellow ( i thought it was an earth) to the left hand block ( switched live)

It was a while back but possibly the yellow i mentioned or the left hand side black.

Pic here

http://bayimg.com/FAJoGaAbf

Hi,

even with the yellow in (what I think) is the right place , the fan stays on continually.
On the fan there's a pull cord on/off and if I use that alone then the fan does go off.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if you want the fan to be controlled by the light switch you have to have its wires connected to the same terminals as the lamp.

At a guess the rightmost red needs to go the the leftmost terminal.

Please mark your wires with a permanent pen and make a diagram so you can track what you are doing.

If you go up to the high street and invest £10 in a multimeter you can test what the wires are and save a lot of trouble.

If you have moved the wires since your photo please take a new photo.

I can't see what is happening in your other photo.

A plain yellow wire is not an earth and you must not connect it to the earth block.

p.s. Red, Yellow and Blue (plus earth) is three-core cable. Red and black is twin and earth. It would help if you made a diagram saying which cores come from which cable. It is very likely that the 3-core &E go to the fan. One of the T&E will be the supply and one will be the switch. I think it's time you bought a meter so you can identify them.

please tell me you haven't really got a pendant lamp in the bathroom

They not al la mode or something.
It's what was there when I bought the house.

if you want the fan to be controlled by the light switch you have to have its wires connected to the same terminals as the lamp.

At a guess the rightmost red needs to go the the leftmost terminal.

Please mark your wires with a permanent pen and make a diagram so you can track what you are doing.

If you go up to the high street and invest £10 in a multimeter you can test what the wires are and save a lot of trouble.

If you have moved the wires since your photo please take a new photo.

I can't see what is happening in your other photo.

A plain yellow wire is not an earth and you must not connect it to the earth block.

p.s. Red, Yellow and Blue (plus earth) is three-core cable. Red and black is twin and earth. It would help if you made a diagram saying which cores come from which cable. It is very likely that the 3-core &E go to the fan. One of the T&E will be the supply and one will be the switch. I think it's time you bought a meter so you can identify them.

Sorry, updated images here.

http://bayimg.com/mAjocaABf
http://bayimg.com/MAJoEAAbf
http://bayimg.com/maJOGaabF

The reds haven't been moved and it was working before so I'm a bit dubious to move them tbh.
I have a three core cable - live/neutral and switch wire.

The pendent in wired correctly, assuming the same colours are used at the fan.

Can you replace the energy saving lamp with a standard lamp and try? I have seen these cause problems with fans.

Also - There is a chance the yellow and blue could be in the wrong place - There is a chance the pendent is wired with reverse polarity across the outer two terminals. This could also cause problems.

Could also be a duff fan :LOL:

The pendent in wired correctly, assuming the same colours are used at the fan.

Can you replace the energy saving lamp with a standard lamp and try? I have seen these cause problems with fans.

Also - There is a chance the yellow and blue could be in the wrong place - There is a chance the pendent is wired with reverse polarity across the outer two terminals. This could also cause problems.

Could also be a duff fan :LOL:

Nice one Lectrician. It was the bloody energy saving bulb. All work as it should now and to hell with the environment!

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back