Dodgy Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for advice on attached pics.
My neighbour had run this wiring all along fence for outdoor lights before I moved in.
I have asked many times for them to remove it. Its indoor wiring and not armoured cable.
Can anyone advise where I stand with it.
Is it classed as being on my property and am I allowed to remove it.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210830_204724.jpg
    20210830_204724.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 20211029_124958.jpg
    20211029_124958.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 202
  • 20211028_152300.jpg
    20211028_152300.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 196
Sponsored Links
Quite an eyesore...

Is that your fence or their fence? It looks like their fence as it seems to match the rest of their woodwork. Your deeds will make clear who the fence belongs to.

Is it private property or council?

Which UK country is this, the electrical rules vary from E to W to S to NI? If all else fails, you might be able to tackle it from an electrically dangerous point of view.

If that is grey T&E, that is not suitable for exposed outdoor use.

Hi Harry
Thanks for your response.
Its a private property in Scotland.
I'll have a look at my deeds.

Regardless of who owns the fence, if the cables are clipped and overlapping the boundary which it looks like it is, he should move them. I would ask them to move and re route his side, if he doesn't and you want to do it legally contact your home insurance if you have legal cover. I would be tempted to move myself if he didn't. Looks like you have a moron neighbour, unfortunately there are a lot of them around.

Sponsored Links
Also - IF IF IF the wall is the boundary, then the posts are in your property.

This was my thoughts.

Would also mean the wiring is on your property.

I would also assume that wiring would have been classed as a new circuit and thus should have been signed off professionally.

It's definitely not right, this sort of thing winds me up when people don't do things properly, it's really not hard to do it right

I always thought that the fence on your left looking from your property is yours so if that is your fence not his throw the cables onto his side. and as EFL says if it is their fence ask them to remove their posts from your garden

I note between my property and neighbours we have two fences/walls. It often depends when built, however is it dangerous? Eye sore may be, and poor workmanship, however my caravan was parked in the drive for years with a lead just sitting on the ground between house and caravan, and nothing went wrong, it did not comply for a caravan site, but you home is not a caravan site.

The leads used to charge electric cars are far worse so is it really a problem?
upload_2021-10-29_17-5-38.jpeg
that's a good one, lost count of times when leaving work I have tripped over a charging cable. The podpoint charger is really neat, but the cables connecting a car to it are often far too long.

Same walking through a caravan site, leads and pipes everywhere, so in comparison that is rather tidy.

Time is the main factor, leads used for a week or day is one things, but used for 10 years is some thing else, however define temporary. When I plugged in my caravan at home it was just to save removing battery and taking it into garage to charge, the lead powered a class II battery charger and intention was just for a week, then things happened and it sat there for a couple of years. The place we use to store it changed hands and we could no longer use it. So our neighbours were stuck with a caravan other side of hedge.

I can't see what is dangerous, if RCD protected unlikely even when the cable degrades in the sun it will really cause danger, so unless something in the deeds, not likely you can do much.

I always thought that the fence on your left looking from your property is yours ...
I may be wrong, but I don't think 'left' and 'right' necessarily define ownership of boundary structures (fences/walls etc.) - that is usually defined in the 'Deeds' or the modern equivalent thereof. I certainly know of (and, indeed have lived in) houses in which the convention you suggest does not correspond to the understanding of the owner and neighbours concerned. Indeed, my (and my neighbours') understanding of ownership of fences in my current home is the opposite of what you suggest.

Kind Regards, John

I may be wrong, but I don't think 'left' and 'right' necessarily define ownership of boundary structures (fences/walls etc.) - that is usually defined in the 'Deeds' or the modern equivalent thereof. I certainly know of (and, indeed have lived in) houses in which the convention you suggest does not correspond to the understanding of the owner and neighbours concerned. Indeed, my (and my neighbours') understanding of ownership of fences in my current home is the opposite of what you suggest.

Kind Regards, John
A quick google suggests every case on its merits, i.e. deeds etc

Obviously ownership of the fence is a crucial factor.
Having said that, that wiring looks very vulnerable to accidental damage.

Hi, looking for advice on attached pics.
My neighbour had run this wiring all along fence for outdoor lights before I moved in.
I have asked many times for them to remove it. Its indoor wiring and not armoured cable.
Can anyone advise where I stand with it.
Is it classed as being on my property and am I allowed to remove it.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Tread carefully. When a new neighbour (you) moves in and starts getting uptight about things that have been in place for years all the existing people will hate their new neighbour.

Looks like you have a moron neighbour, unfortunately there are a lot of them around.
Did you not notice this when you viewed the property? You should have mentioned it to your solicitor before exchanging. Now is a bit late.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back