Does anyone know how to stop cats peeing in the corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 3 cats, - one uses the cat flap, the other now uses the litter tray (I think), and the 3rd doesn't like the rain so pees on the carpet. Nice!
I have searched on various websites - putting cat food around the house was one suggestion as they won't go near to food, - except ours. Cat #2 (pre litter tray) was caught peeing in bowl of food. So much for that theory.

There is a particular spot which is used and it could be territorial - the problem got worse after a different cat was spraying in the garden and trying to get in through catflap.
Have put some newspaper down, and that has been used, which I can cope with as I keep it thick - then just chuck it out.
However, the familiar smell is back, so it's not altogether successful.

Long term - I think we're going to through the carpet out and replace with laminate, but I need a short term solution til we get round to replacing it.

Any ideas (apart from get rid of all cats, get a dog etc...)
Thx L

Sponsored Links
At last a cat owner who doesn't like what the cats do to her property but I'm sure couldn't care less that they do it in other peoples houses and gardens. Now you know what us non-cat owners have to put up with, even worse if you have cats both sides of you. Your garden then turns into the local cat loo. : :mad:

If you own a cat you have to expect it to mark its terriitory, if its a tom get its nuts cut off that will stop it in the main, it will of course then get bullied by every other cat in the neightbourhood. If you dont like it get a pet that serves some purpose rather than an animal that just uses you for a feed and somewhere to keep warm.

Sorry couldn't resist try spending hours telling your cat owning neighbours what their cats get up to in your garden, its like talking to a brick wall.

Sponsored Links
One of my sister's cats likes to climb up the curtains so she got hold of Oscar and splashed water on his face.

Three or four times later, he stopped climbing up her expensive curtains.

Just a thought....

I don't want to appear mean, but, can't you just train the cat, by rubbing the its nose in the pee and then locking it outside for a while. As the saying goes, "spare the rod, spoil the child".

BTW. Before you accuse me of being cruel to animals, I've never had cats, (and probably never will). So my own lack of concern for thier feelings, will never result in any of them being mistreated.

my turn; take something like a baking sheet or old metal tray, one that you wont need anymore, and put it on top of the area where the cat pees. Then take some conventional newspaper, broadsheet is better, using about ten tablespoon's of petrol,(it doesn't matter if it's unleaded or not) being careful not to spill it beyond the metal, sprinkle it slowly onto the newspaper that you have laid on the sheet. Put your armchair to one side of the spot, and on the opposite side of the chair, place a small table with a saucer on it. Place on this saucer a candle, of the older style, long upright, and light it. You now sit in the chair and if able to, relax and watch the television.
The cat should, if it has such a nasty habit, eventually move to the usual position. Wait until it actually starts peeing, then, very carefully lift the candle so as not to drop any wax, then drop it onto the newspaper beside the darling - it will not do it any more.
To get rid of the smells, that now remain, ask on the website!

TexMex said:
Ican't you just train the cat, by rubbing the its nose in the pee and then locking it outside for a while.

Apparently rubbing pets' noses in their own excrement is not a good idea (funny that!) as you end up with neurotic animals who fear you... Kinda defeats the object of a pet! :confused:

Unfortunately with respect to keeping cats, they are only semi-domesticated. That is why it is very difficult to train them to do what you want them to. They have their own ideas and will stick two claws up at you if you try to do it your way. Anyone who has ever tried to stop a cat from using a window as their own personal entrance will know what I mean! I love both cats and dogs, and I very much respect the strong will of cats.

Perhaps you should try sprinkling some cat-repellant in that corner? I think that powdered pepper has this effect as it irritates their sensitive noses. Also you can buy various powders in garden centres. The only problem I can see with this is that they might just move to a different corner!

If you wish to try aversion therapy, a water pistol (or water sprayer) is the best solution. Plus being independent types are often (deliberately) looking the wrong way and won't associate you with the pistol. The downside of this is that you have to go to work some time and can't watch the corner all day. But apparently it works to prevent them clawing furniture. So when they start to squat, give them some H2O.

planenut said:
my turn; take something like a baking sheet or old metal tray, one that you wont need anymore, and put it on top of the area where the cat pees. Then take some conventional newspaper, broadsheet is better, using about ten tablespoon's of petrol,(it doesn't matter if it's unleaded or not) being careful not to spill it beyond the metal, sprinkle it slowly onto the newspaper that you have laid on the sheet. Put your armchair to one side of the spot, and on the opposite side of the chair, place a small table with a saucer on it. Place on this saucer a candle, of the older style, long upright, and light it. You now sit in the chair and if able to, relax and watch the television.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm naked light and petrol vapour
are you shure its not the owners your trying to eridicate

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

big all

Buy an ex windmill to live in .... cats have difficulty finding the 'corners' !!

Animal excrement in one's home defeats the object of a pet !
They do not 'do it' in their own nest, that is nature isn't it ?

Do yourself a favour, get rid !!

P

pipme said:
Animal excrement in one's home defeats the object of a pet !
They do not 'do it' in their own nest, that is nature isn't it ?

Obviously you've never toilet trained a puppy... :LOL:

99.9% of cats are very well toilet trained from the day you collect the fluffy kitten from the breeder or the CPL. They know what the litter tray is, how to use it, and when they get a bit older and you let them outside, they start to dig holes and bury it.

People will moan about cats digging in their garden. However, have you ever tried to talk to a dog owner about how they let their dog poo on the ground? They seem to think that my lawn is fair game for canine cr*p. Even if they do pick it up (which believe me, they don't) then I am still left with a lawn that has the residue of dog faeces on it. When you explain this simple fact to them, it is like talking to a brick wall.

You talking to a country boy here.
No way having animals pad around our home after being out in the wild collecting all manner of whatever in their fur and on their feet, licking orifices, etc, etc !! ( especially if they have been on some lawns ... harummmph !! )
Big dogs ... small home / garden means piles of filthy c r ap in parks and grass, where-ever disgusting !! For what ??

P

One of ours uses the lawn like a dog, - at least you can see it!

Nstreet, - I'm sure it must be frustrating living next door to cats. Mine tend not to wander far, and so our garden is the one they use, - personally. I think it's a small price to pay cos they're all lovely!

Have you tried those sonic things that you put in the garden? A friend swears by hers, - else get a dog, (or a water pistol ;) ).

Back indoors -
Adam, I've tried repellent - doesn't seem to work, - I've also used cleaner without any ammonia in it (If you use ammonia-based products they then re-pee (is that a new verb ;) ) to cover the smell!! AARggh!!!

I think the answer is to get my butt into gear, get the carpet up and get some laminate down.

Bye for now

summergirl said:
and get some laminate down.

Bye for now

Be careful with that: If they start to pee on that then it could swell up, certainly would still smell bad. So keep a close eye on them. You may find they don't like staying in that room so much on laminate (my parents' cats hate it) so you may have your solution there.

Pip: I have wondered about people who keep big dogs in small houses. I love big dogs and would like nothing more than a 15-stone St Bernard or an enormous alsation, but until I have something big enough I won't even consider it! Someone down the road from me has two very large Rottweilers (they have to be walked on leads that look more like a guide-dog harness) but they have a small two-bed house with barely any garden. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Owning potential killer dogs is another lunacy we have to put up with.
If the owners want (or think they want) the edge of violence ... kit them up and send them to the reality of Iraq or somewhere .... Guess it aint the fun that the movies might have us believe !!

P

Sponsored Links
Back