Does anyone know what this is? Old door bell?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have this bolted to the inside of my porch. I'm assuming it's an old doorbell but can't be sure?

Does anyone know?

Attachments

• 20210103_164248.jpg
    20210103_164248.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 356
  • 20210103_165203.jpg
    20210103_165203.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 350
Sponsored Links
It’s a very old phone joint box, but has had modern Jelly joints used within it, rather than replacing it. It would of had blades in there. Not sure if they used to be fused.

The odd thing is the colours used. They’ve split the line over two twisted pairs.

It is telephone, but I have never seen anything similar before. It is in very good condition for its age, but the links are missing unless the links are mage by fitting the lid?

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. Feel a bit silly now wondering if it was a door bell.

Is or was there power going to it? Can I cut and remove?

Ah, I'll be knocking down that porch at some point.

Also, my current phone line (not that I've ever plugged in a phone to it) is supplied by Virgin media so guessing I don't need it.

Who would I ring to investigate, any ideas?

Has Virgin Media installed fibre?

Have you a line coming across from a pole, to that little box?

We've only been here for 18 months but yes, we had Vigin installed although I don't think they use fibre, as far as I know it's coax from the roadside to their router. I've never plugged in the phone as I got fed up with cold calls.

When you say a line from the pole, are you asking if I have a internal BT phone socket going to that box?

If so, I do have an internal phone socket not too far away but it presumably crosses under a tiled floor and goes to towards that junction box. I'm guessing that's the white cable going in to box.

When you say a line from the pole, are you asking if I have a internal BT phone socket going to that box?

No, the line which goes from that box, to the telephone exchange - it will either be underground, or in the air and going to a telephone pole.

Haha, I see what you mean now, when you said pole, I thought that was a techy name for the BT socket :D. There aren't any telephone poles so it must go underground.

So bearing in mind that I don't need it currently, is there any reason why I shouldn't cut it? Do any of the cables supply power?

Should I call BT and get them to visit first?

Disconnect it.

Try and leave it so you could make use of it in future.

VM price rises will drive you round the bend

Disconnect it.

Try and leave it so you could make use of it in future.

VM price rises will drive you round the bend

Sounds good advice, will do. So is there any power fed down this cable?

I know all about the VM price increases.... Have to do battle with them every 18 months!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back