Does anyone know what this is? Old door bell?

About 50v if it’s connected.

Battle every 11 months it seams !

50 volts, that's a bit worrying..... I'll give BT a ring.

Fortunately, I'm in an 18-month deal now.

Thanks for everyone's help here

Sponsored Links
Do you have a multi-meter, to check the voltage across the pair?

Set it for DC 100v. If you see no voltage, it is cut off.

Always good to be able to take an alternative service if VM increase the cost. With no alternative service, you have lost your bargaining power - an alternative phone service.

Yes, I have one. I will give it a go. I'll Google where to stick my probes ;)

Arh you only get a little tingle.
Ppl work on them live.

BT will charge you.
And as you don’t have a line with them the computer will say NO

Sponsored Links
Yeah, it was more so about where I put the cable once disconnected.

I have somebody at work I will ask before I pay any money.

Sorry, back again. I found my multimeter today (not that I remember how to use it :D). Can somebody advise how I test if this is active..... As in where do I stick the probes and if it's live, will it be live all the time or just when it's receiving a signal?

Sorry, back again. I found my multimeter today (not that I remember how to use it :D). Can somebody advise how I test if this is active..... As in where do I stick the probes and if it's live, will it be live all the time or just when it's receiving a signal?

Plug the probes into the 'com' and 'volts' sockets, switch it to 200v and dc. Connect the loose ends of the probes, metal to metal with the ends of the wires or screw terminals, if the wires are on terminals, then when you see a steady number report back what it is.

If live, around 45 to 55v.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back