Does anyone know what this type of gate is called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace a side gate - what should be a simple task, but I am stumped by the type of gate and fixing I have currently.

It is a wooden panelled gate, with 'finished' panels both sides and bracing sandwiched between the two panels. On the hinge side is a metal rail with 2 'eyes' that sit on 2 mounting pins attached to the wall. Pics attached will tell the story better than I can...

To make matters worse, the opening is 91cm from wall to post, so the gate itself is only 86cm wide (as I assume a standard 90cm gate won't fit).

I can't find anything like it to replace it with. I was hoping for something that I can just drop on the mounting pins that are already there. Everything I find is 90cm wide, only has the finished panel on one side and doesn't have the eye holes rail built in.

Has anyone seen a gate like this and does it have a special name I can put into a search engine?
2020-08-10 17.02.52.jpg 2020-08-10 17.02.32.jpg 2020-08-10 17.02.26.jpg 2020-08-10 17.02.11.jpg 2020-08-10 17.02.01.jpg 2020-08-09 22.21.32.jpg

Sponsored Links
That is homemade, to fit the size needed. It looks as if the made a frame, then paneled it of each side with ordinary T&G floorboards. Best to find one adaptable to fit and get a joiner to trim it down to fit, with new hinges, or buy a saw plus some treated timber and make one from scratch your self. They are not difficult to DIY.

For sure I’d guess thats a homebrew gate?
John :)

I think you're right!

I've just been back out there peeling away bits of it - I can see its a metal frame gate with the tongue & groove planks screwed either side (the bread if you like) to blocks of wood in the middle (the 'sandwich filling').

I guess as the metal frame is still good, I could fix it up myself with new wood either side without much difficulty.

Sponsored Links
That is homemade, to fit the size needed. It looks as if the made a frame, then paneled it of each side with ordinary T&G floorboards. Best to find one adaptable to fit and get a joiner to trim it down to fit, with new hinges, or buy a saw plus some treated timber and make one from scratch your self. They are not difficult to DIY.

You're good at this! Its taken me 2 days and countless trips to inspect it, and you figured that out in 5 minutes from a few pics!

I think you're right!

I've just been back out there peeling away bits of it - I can see its a metal frame gate with the tongue & groove planks screwed either side (the bread if you like) to blocks of wood in the middle (the 'sandwich filling').

I guess as the metal frame is still good, I could fix it up myself with new wood either side without much difficulty.

You will need to use treated timber, to delay the rot and use galv 6mm bolts to pull the timber on each side together - long 6mm roofing bolts and nuts, would do it.

You could use decking boards, although they may be a bit thick?
A garden centre quite possibly would have a better selection of timber intended for outdoor use

Certainly strip the frame, do any repairs and give it a really good rustproofing coat before covering it.
Covering the top with a cap will help with rot

Thanks all, I know what'll be keeping me busy this week then!!

I bought one like this off E Bay , they make to size or a size close to yours , quite good quality etc , looks good fitted

Phil

Attachments

• C589753E-75ED-442E-96A3-690E0E29E6B6.png
    C589753E-75ED-442E-96A3-690E0E29E6B6.png
    975 KB · Views: 243
  • 58C8AE18-4B2E-4FFD-9838-F655CDFD753C.png
    58C8AE18-4B2E-4FFD-9838-F655CDFD753C.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 227
I did the same as HERTS P&D has suggested last year but I normally make my own along similar lines i.e. get some suitable tongue and groove (should be at least 15mm thick) screw it on to cross pieces of some kind with rust proof screws then give the whole lot a couple of coats of wood preserver before fitting hinges and latches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back