Does anyone make......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am after what is essentially a 230v hardwired (not plug) nightlight with sensor.

Situation - the mrs house had 2 fcus in living room for the combi (moved the supply for this to the airing cupboard)

Bizarrely the supply was taken from the upstairs lighting circuit (old practice??) but the location is next to the bottom of the stairs and the nearest switch is the opposite side of the room (ridiculous)

So what I want is something I can mount over this box, ideally with either a dusk to dawn or PIR that I can just stick straight onto this perm live to light my way in the dark.

The second FCU is located next to it, so I could utilise this for a sensor if I can find a light that suits.

Don't want anything super proud of the wall or it's likely to be more dangerous than helpful.

Anybody seen anything?

Sponsored Links
I considered adding a switch but it's already a two way so would need to be an intermediate switch (or sack off one of the existing switches)

I'm not really up for chasing and making good tbh. I had considered adding a remote switch but the existing switch boxes are pretty busy to get a receiver in - and again, want to avoid chasing.

I had considered a battery powered one, I'm also considering fitting an FCU to the box with the lighting feed in, fusing down to 3a and then just sticking a socket with a label on it in the other box.

Had not considered a sensor lamp - but the pendant has one of those paper ikea balls on it so not sure how well that would work.

Sponsored Links
My bad. To simplify

I have 2 single boxes, one with a permanent live feed from a lighting circuit.

I want to fit a hardwired nightlight in their position so that I can get to the other side of the room without breaking my toe(s).

I missed it off the diagram, but the door bottom left is to the stairs

If a neon is adequate you could use a gridswitch plate with indicator neons (or LEDs).

Such a plate would give you an enclosure with lenses if you wanted to cannibalise a plug-in nightlight.

If a neon is adequate you could use a gridswitch plate with indicator neons (or LEDs).
Indeed. If a small amount of light is acceptable (which it may be for the OP's purpose), there are also various 'illuminated switch plates' around, too.

Kind Regards, John

I have 2 single boxes, one with a permanent live feed from a lighting circuit.
Can you access the other end of that cable?

Do you want to be able to turn a light on when you enter the room, so you can get to where the light switches are, or to be able to see your way out after you've turned the ceiling light off?

If the latter, or both, could you get used to going to the stair door and then back to turn the light out?

Just wondering if a timer switch in parallel with the existing switches would work.

Or what about a low-energy ELV light over in that corner powered by a fan transformer with overrun? It would be on all the time the main light was on and would stay lit for a time after you turn that off. You could combine that with a timer switch for when you enter the room.

BAS

I potentially could - I haven't checked all the U/S roses but it's fairly likely it's fed from a JB somewhere and I'm not willing (and probably not allowed!!) to start lifting carpets and boards willy nilly to find it

Ideally, to both see my way out once I've switched the light off, and back to the switch having come down the stairs (the sofa, fireplace and coffee table can be difficult to navigate)

A timer switch may work for leaving, but without chasing not for entering - and if I was in a position to chase I could just add an intermediate switch and happy days

main_250.jpg

SO CLOSE

http://gb.auroralighting.com/Produc...40V-Cast-Aluminium-Square-LED-Wall-Light.aspx

Ticks nearly all the boxes

1W LED
Fits standard back box
Could fit a miniature PIR in the other box

Only problem is the 45mm clearance. I'm sure it's AT BEST a 35mm box.

I guess a spacer would work

SO CLOSE ... Only problem is the 45mm clearance. I'm sure it's AT BEST a 35mm box. ... I guess a spacer would work
Yep - or dig out another 12mm and fit a 47mm box (or does that count as the 'chasing' you do not want to, or cannot, do?)

Kind Regards, John

Considering that more than chasing.

That wall needs some making good anyway - think there was some damp there at one point, it's a party wall and the paint is flaking at the bottom.

Plaster seems dry as a bone currently (I checked it before this spell of nice weather) but if this bit of wall is being redec'd then I could potentially do it

Considering that more than chasing. That wall needs some making good anyway - think there was some damp there at one point, it's a party wall and the paint is flaking at the bottom. Plaster seems dry as a bone currently (I checked it before this spell of nice weather) but if this bit of wall is being redec'd then I could potentially do it
If you were careful, it ought to be possible to deepen the hole a bit without damaging the wall at all. If it were me, I think I'd drill lots of holes, and then just tidy up. carefully, with a chisel!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back