Does bulge in wall require action?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time posting here and looking for some advice.

We moved into our 14 year old house around 18 months ago. Slowly over that time this bulge has appeared in the wall leading up the stairs. There is a similar bulge on the wall at the bottom of the stairs.

It's hard to touch and there's no give when pushed. It doesn't sound particularly hollow when knocked. My best guess is that it's the plaster board but I'm really not sure what could be the cause of it.

Is this something to be worried about? Would it be worthwhile getting a plasterer in to check it out?

Cheers,
Padraic

Attachments

• 20191103_155740.jpg
    20191103_155740.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 731
  • 20191103_155721.jpg
    20191103_155721.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 700
  • 20191103_155646.jpg
    20191103_155646.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 828
Sponsored Links
There's "nothing" here to worry about structurally at all, but this is shoddy workmanship, bad taping. It's caused where 2 sheets of plasterboard have met, without a tapered joint. The joint has then been taped causing a "bump" in the wall. This is the type of thing that happens nowadays in houses that are "thrown up".
You could get a plasterer to come and look at it and see what he thinks. I've sorted many walls like that, by running a handsaw, "flat",, across the "bump/s", to "flatten" the peak, then re-taping the flattened joint/joints,,, then prepping, pva, and plastering the "whole wall",, a far far better job, than just skimming the affected areas.
I "always" use a good coat of "Bonding Coat" plaster first too, as this gives an extra thickness of plaster to come and go with, to make the joint un- noticeable. The whole wall then finished off with multi finish plaster.
Everyone has their own way to correct this, and this is mine.

Last edited:
Hi Darrington, that's great news and thanks for your reply! I really didn't know what to think with it and was worried that the house had a structural fault.

I won't be in a rush to get anything done to it then but will get someone in eventually to sort it out.

Thanks again,
Padraic

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back