Does it irritate you when...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On commercial TV channels, they turn up the volume when the adverts start?

Surely it's counter-productive; or am the only person who mutes the sound for the entire advert break, just 'cos they're too loud?

Sponsored Links
perhaps i dont watch same channels as you?

the sci-fi channel had a silly thing, they would have a break, then just after the break show the progs credits

breezer said:
perhaps i dont watch same channels as you?
AFAIK it's all channels, but perhaps I'll pay more attention next time.

the sci-fi channel had a silly thing, they would have a break, then just after the break show the progs credits
I believe that's a particularly North American habit - they force you to keep watching in the expectation that there's a bit more of the programme still to come. A blatant con trick if you ask me - I'd do my best to boycott any product advertised in that way, but I reckon they get us subconsciously sooner or later. :eek:

Get a modern Telly, they can be set to stop the volume increase on the adverts.

Sponsored Links
pickles said:
Er, call me a Luddite, but I'm not a big fan of the throwaway society. :confused:

Too true, but you were whinging whereas I'm whining. ;)

Our 'old' Sony is 4 years old! It has an 'auto volume' setting... Fine, the vol is capped... But, when channel changing from a relatively noisy prog to a quiet one the sound can take 10 or 12 secs to 'get up to speed', ok if the channel switcher has experience and patience, if not, they just up the volume and we are then worse off than when we started !
:D :D

Softus said:
pickles said:
Er, call me a Luddite, but I'm not a big fan of the throwaway society. :confused:

You'll just have to put up with it then won't you. Alternatively, get some ear plugs, hang them round your neck on a bit of string and put them in during the adverts.

don't know where it originated from.....and I put up with it for years...until my telly broke and I had to get a new one.....and you can set it to regulate for that. wish I had the funds for tivo....to at least try it out....no commercials at all......but I dont watch that much anyway :confused:

Softus said:
On commercial TV channels, they turn up the volume when the adverts start?

Surely it's counter-productive; or am the only person who mutes the sound for the entire advert break, just 'cos they're too loud?

Some TV have an auto volume feature, it will set the advert sound level to the same level as the programme.

Or how about this?

Softus said:
Too true, but you were whinging whereas I'm whining. ;)
I like to call it "airing my disgruntlement". (Incidentally, is it possible to be "gruntled" about something?) ;)

ninebob said:
(Incidentally, is it possible to be "gruntled" about something?)
Oh I think so - John Prescott seems to manage it for every waking minute of his sorry life.

Sponsored Links
Back