Does it look wrong to not tile one wall of the bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Haha.
So the reason for this is that one of the walls is running parallel to a joist. And I was thinking it may be better to leave that wall untiled.

So three walls would be tiled leaving the other with white paint.

Is this a design no-no or more personal preference ?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Taste.
my bathroom is tiled on two sides.
basically one wall along the bath, the other on the window/basins/loo wall.
I hate the “butcher shop” look of totally tiled spaces.

Thanks a lot tiger. You have reassured me there.
Any tips on taking them down ?
I was intending to use the old hammer and bolster without raking out the joints to save time although this will cause a lot more damage to the tiles.

I've no real need to save the tiles; although the odd one or two may be useful if I can get them off without breaking.

Start at the top and work down.

I don't like the butcher shop either.

Looking forward to doing this job
:)

I think it depends on how well the tiles were stuck on.
most will break. Some may pull off a lot of plaster

i would try to find a cheap plasterer to give you a decent skim so that you have a flat place to start?
I am not familiar with aqua boards but that might (?) give you a flat base?

I am a fan of tempered glass (or plastic ) in place of bathroom/kitchen tiles.

Sponsored Links
I think it depends on how well the tiles were stuck on.
most will break. Some may pull off a lot of plaster

i would try to find a cheap plasterer to give you a decent skim so that you have a flat place to start?
I am not familiar with aqua boards but that might (?) give you a flat base?

I am a fan of tempered glass (or plastic ) in place of bathroom/kitchen tiles.

Moisture resistance plasterboard underneath I think. Was hoping to give it a good sand and paint over the top with bathroom paint

There's no way plasterboard will survive tile removal unless the person who set them did a really bad job!
Fair comment Tea.
Do you think the damage will be insignificant enough to make repairs using toupret powder?
I would like to avoid the cost of a re-plaster at all costs.
To deal with ridges of tile bonding left on the surface I intend to use a hot air gun and a scraper (following a youtube tutorial)
It's the dips I'm worried about filling. The wall in question is not significant : 2.5-3 metres or so (off the top of my head)

If you were re-tiling then you can get away with a lot as you could possibly just pack out with a bit of extra tile adhesive etc.

But because you want a paint finish, it's really difficult to hide anything. I'm finding it hard to picture ripping tiles off a plasterboard wall and being able to make it satisfactory for a paint finish using just filler tbh.

Really depends on what the tile adhesive was and how it was used, whether the pboard was skimmed etc. etc. You'll only know once you start pulling them off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back