Does Limescale really damage washing machines?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well does it?

Personally I think its just an advertising ploy to sell a product that is largely unecessary. Being an electrical engineer I cant see how a bit of limescale on a heating element will stop it from working. If you dont belive me just look at the element in your kettle.

Opinions anyone.

Sponsored Links
ity does actually. it tkes more energy to heat the water since it now has insulation, it can also cause the element to overheat

Hmm, not entirely convinced that a thin layer of limescale would make that much difference. Still I suppose it's possible.

i used to fix hp m/c as i said, the heater gets covered in limescale, causing the element to overheat, i forgot to mention the hp elements have a non restable cut out

think about it, you are cold, what do yoy do? put on another laye.

still, i dont care if you believe it or not, not my problem what you believe

Sponsored Links
Yes they do work but this raises another question. What is the more economic. Taking those tablets or replacing the spare parts that will inevitably fail. When I replaced a heating element in my Zanussi WM some years back, I was tempted. But doing some quick maths showed that the spare parts were comming out cheaper than the ongoing cost of the tablets.

The machine itself had been a wedding present from my in-laws. Since I'm just coming up to my silver wedding aniversary, it had been in service over 20 years. Totting up the cost of ALL the spares that I had ever replaced on it (A few Heating elements, the odd couple of pumps, Door seal, main bearings, spider) still came to a fraction of the price of 20 years supply of the tablets. Interestingly I never, once, needed to replace ANY of the rubber hoses. (even though the TV service engineer rips one apart to make some kind of point)

It may have been a different matter, had I paid someone else for all those repairs, but I suppose I'm just a tight a*se.

Unfortunately we finally abandoned the Zanussi, when we inheritted a brand new Hotpoint Washer/dryer. I suspect that this is going to be less reliable, less practical and more expensive to maintain. Oh well that's progress I suppose. :cry:

TexMex said:
we inheritted a brand new Hotpoint Washer/dryer.

take it outside now and shoot it, you will be doing yourself a favour

the answer to your question must mainly depend on how hard your water is
where i am my kettle is virtualy fir free over 5 years although it was accidently turned on dry 2 years ago which shed what little calcium was present

TexMex said:
(even though the TV service engineer rips one apart to make some kind of point)

Probably wondering why he can't get a picture. :D ;)

Im in a hard water area, Have had washing machines for 40 years, never had an element go YET. (Oh should I have said that) :LOL:

I suppose the only way to really find out is if quite a few washing machine repair engineers read this and post there findings.

I've repaired a few of my own and freinds washing machines but have never found any failures due to limescale, maybe if I repair a few more I might find some.

Surefire said:
I suppose the only way to really find out is if quite a few washing machine repair engineers read this and post there findings

that'll be me then.

(edited before the mod saw it, shhhhh)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back