Does Old High Level Cast Cistern need Diaphram?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Ive just fitted an old cast iron high level cistern bought from a reclamation yard but I cant get it to flush. it consists of the body with the flush pipe coming up through covered by a bell shaped ... well, bell which it then connected to the lever on top. There is no sign of any diaphram inside the bell, is this missing? I did try to make one out of plastic but this didn seem to pull the water up either.
Many Thanks,
Finbar

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Ive just fitted an old cast iron high level cistern bought from a reclamation yard but I cant get it to flush. it consists of the body with the flush pipe coming up through covered by a bell shaped ... well, bell which it then connected to the lever on top. There is no sign of any diaphram inside the bell, is this missing? I did try to make one out of plastic but this didn seem to pull the water up either.
Many Thanks,
Finbar

No. It's probably missing a part from the bell that's called the bell end.
Go and ask for one at your local plumbers' merchants.

And not a double entendre any where !!

No they do not have syphon washers !!

Increase the water level and see if it works!!

These were notorious for giving you a cold shower on the top of your head when flushed !!

I must admit that i did increase the water level to well over the mark but no joy, does the bell need priming full of water?

Sponsored Links
I thought they were just a bell and somehow lifted the water up over the flush pipe?

Bell end?

Tony

ok so no diaphram as such which is how it is now but its not lifting the water does anyone know what it originally had?
by the way my name actually is Finbar but that had gone as a username check for yourselves! :)

I must admit that i did increase the water level to well over the mark but no joy, does the bell need priming full of water?

Increasing the liquid level helps but the last one I saw I had to pull on the bell end much harder and faster than usual before it would ejaculate its fluid into the receptacle.

terrywookfit seems to want a double entendre. Can you give him one?

Is your equivalent of the vertical pipe, inside the bell, intact? It has to be high enough or there won't be enough pull on the water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back