Does part P go far enough?

The fact you have qualifications and an apprentiship is proof of competence no argument it is

Sponsored Links
Hands up all those home DIYers that have all of the test equipment to satisfy the requirements of BS7671, EWR1989 etc. In addition, that have the training, knowledge and experience to use such equipment? Inaddition, they have (or have access to) the relevant publications.

Can I put my hand up?

I meet all the critera above, and as I can't self certify, does that mean when I work at home I'm doing DIY?

Yep, get your hand up. And just like the rest of us, in your own home it's Do It Yourself

Before I added DI status to Pensdowns scope, (along with the sparks I employ who use pensdown's DI status), we were all in the same boat. And I've got more test kits than you :LOL:

dont understand your query on the last two comments sorry as for the cost of checks I dont make the rules personally I dont care what people do I have my own morals and opinions if you dont like that that is NOT my problem you asked sorry

Sponsored Links
If there wasnt checks and schemes in the building industry it would be a disaster
I think that any self employed person carrying out electrical work as a business should be registered
NO one with an apprentiship and trade qualifications should have to join a scheme
The fact you have qualifications and an apprentiship is proof of competence no argument it is
I have seen some right idiots calling themselves sparks on site and was glad the JIB got rid of them.
ecs-cscs-iet-craft-front.jpg

Electrotechnical Certification Scheme
NO one with an apprentiship and trade qualifications should have to join a scheme

dont understand your query on the last two comments sorry as for the cost of checks I dont make the rules
No, but you want to, even though what you want to do is to impose costs on people when you don't know what the costs would be or if the checks are necessary.

if you dont like that that is NOT my problem you asked sorry
Yes, I asked, but you don't seem to have any answers that make sense.

I think your probably a well educated person and quite nice but you are also incredably opinionated and bigheaded and not to mention patronising so I think we should leave it there :D and the jib scheme provides alot more than membership to a club and so does a good competent person scheme for domestics.

I do DIY electrical stuff, just wired new garage, Building Control aware. Used Hager waterproof CU, Hi Tuf and armoured cables, MK metal clad switches and sockets.

Wire it up myself, check for continuity and any direct shorts, switch it on, then use socket tester to check earth fault loop impedence. And it works.

Do you really need expensive testing kit, or a £20 multimeter and a £40 socket tester. My system I am condident is safer than the majority of domestic installations because I have used decent stuff, took my time, and not cut corners.

I do DIY electrical stuff, just wired new garage, Building Control aware. Used Hager waterproof CU, Hi Tuf and armoured cables, MK metal clad switches and sockets.

Wire it up myself, check for continuity and any direct shorts, switch it on, then use socket tester to check earth fault loop impedence. And it works.

Do you really need expensive testing kit, or a £20 multimeter and a £40 socket tester. My system I am condident is safer than the majority of domestic installations because I have used decent stuff, took my time, and not cut corners.

No...electricians use the expensive test equipment becuase it looks good and makes them feel better. Has nothing at all to do with the BS7671.

No insulation resistance test mentioned. No RCD test mentioned. No mention of polarity...yep..you're £40 socket tester sounds like it wil do the job. Is that the kind with an LED that tells you Zs is 'somewhere' between 1ohm and 100ohms?

You've probably done a good job but don't confuse your confidence with the reality that it hasn't been inspected and tested in accordaace with BS7671.

Building Control 'aware'. Of what? HAve you paid the fee? Are they coming ot I&T?

Waterproof Hager CU? Are you sure it's 'waterproof'? Do Hager do 'waterproof' CUs?

Switch it on and it works...how very scientific.

building control have passed it. paid the fee all inspected. The were not interested in testing, just inspected the job.

You can DIY to save money, or DIY to spend the same money but use better quality materials.

Electrical installation isnt rocket science, anyone who reads up on it, has a good grounding in physics (A or O level), and is conscientious, can do it safely.

Glad to hear BC have done their bit.

Few things are rocket science - even rocket science. Many domestic electrical jobs are not too hard - single phase. Add in 3-phase, workshops etc. and it ramps up.

People defend themselves in court, diagnose their ailments, in fact do all sorts of things. All within limits. Plenty of people buy legal packs for buying/selling houses etc.

So long as things go accrding to plan, it can be straight forward.

I'm pleased you got the right result and either saved money or had a better a spec. of installation for your money.

Of course, had you paid for it but at the last minute because you were taken ill, how would you feel if the professional electrician you brought in inspected and tested it all with a £20 multimeter and a £40 socket tester?

building control have passed it. paid the fee all inspected. The were not interested in testing, just inspected the job.

Electrical installation isnt rocket science, anyone who reads up on it, has a good grounding in physics (A or O level), and is conscientious, can do it safely.
Thats the attitude that will kill you mate and thanks for your insult love to see you on site some time and prove your case bit more to it than A levels and reading about it glad you aint a doctor and hope your doctor doesnt have the same opinion :LOL:

Thats the attitude that will kill you mate
The thing is it almost certainly won't, but what could well happen is that when you say things like that people will write off everything else you say as being the same grossly exaggerated nonsense....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back