Does Size Of The Front Door Matter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing my UPVC door with a composite. UPVC door size around 800 wide, however with a composite door I could go a similar size of go a little bigger, e.g. 900 wide.

I'm thinking of going slightly wider just because I can. There is no real practical benefit as the door enters straight into my hall and then I have 2 internal doors, so I couldn't rationalise with being able to get bigger purchases in/out of the house etc.

Apart from pure look, is there any advantages 800 has over 900 or vice versa? Thanks........ Also any thoughts on the size difference too, e.g. In my head 900 and a bigger opening will just look more grand, but don't want buyers remorse.

Sponsored Links
general points
100mm may look odd compared to other identical buildings near by

100mm will give a greater opening and a better ability to turn with furniture

if internal space is quite restricted the bigger door may hit a wall before opening fully

the extra width may stop you using a space normally with the door open

doors and other fitments or furniture may clash with the bigger arc

Sponsored Links
I have an 800mm front door but the 1080mm wide sliding rear glass door with step-free access from the road has been invaluable for bringing in or taking out large pieces of furniture and large appliances. Even with sub-800mm internal doors, you might find a slightly wider front door useful, depending on how your property is configured. Possibly one fewer aperture requiring contortions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back