Does the T4R thermostat modulate on opentherm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for wireless thermostats with opentherm modulation.

Can anyone confirm whether the T4R thermostat modulates boiler temperature when used on Opentherm?

I cannot find documentation that explains how the opentherm works on this unit. Whilst it has a Class V erp rating (which is supposedly for modulating controls), so do other models that don't have opentherm terminals - look at the right hand side of the following web pages:

https://heatingcontrols.honeywellho...digital/T3R-Wireless-Programmable-Thermostat/

https://heatingcontrols.honeywellho...red-Digital/T4-7-Day-Programmable-Thermostat/

How are these class v without opentherm?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No it is an on off thermostat, it doesnt support open therm

Sponsored Links
I am looking for wireless thermostats with modulation.

Can anyone confirm whether the T4R thermostat modulates boiler temperature when used on Opentherm?

I cannot find documentation that explains how the opentherm works on this unit. Whilst it has a Class V erp rating (which is supposedly for modulating controls), so do other models that don't have opentherm terminals - look at the right hand side of the following web pages:

https://heatingcontrols.honeywellho...digital/T3R-Wireless-Programmable-Thermostat/

https://heatingcontrols.honeywellho...red-Digital/T4-7-Day-Programmable-Thermostat/

How are these class v without opentherm?

And your boiler is....?

You need an OpenTherm compatible boiler if you want to connect the OpenTherm terminals. If boiler and thermostat speak different languages, they won't understand each other

Are you suggesting that the boiler has to be capable of reducing gas flow/circulating water temperature i.e. be capable of a modulation capability of at least 5:1?
Can't the thermostat make this happen on it own?

:)

Yes. Boiler needs to be OT ready.

Hhmmmmnnn...

Asking a question and then posting links to documentation that overrides anything we say here!

Another incarnation of @hard work perchance!
Oh, and guess what, that username no longer self-populates when calling the @ tag!

:idea:

Another incarnation of @hard work perchance!
Oh, and guess what, that username no longer self-populates when calling the @ tag!

:idea:
Has that eejit finally been eliminated? Thank goodness for that!

I would be glad if posts could be kept focused on my question.

The T4R has OT terminals but I wanted to know more about its functionality. Ideally I would use the T4M but it's not wireless.

Last edited:
From Honeywell

• Compatible with 24-230V on/off appliances such as gas boilers, combi-boilers and zone valves
  • The T4 can be used as a temperature sensing device in an S or Y Plan system
ON OFF control, no modulating,

I would suspect the receiver module's hardware is common to the T4 and T3 range of thermostats but has different software depending on the thermostat ( T4 or T3 ) that it is bonded to.

The OT ( OpenTherm ) terminals on the receiver probably have no functionality at all when the receiver is bonded to an ON~OFF thermostat.

The installation instuctions for the T4R say this about using the OT connections:

OpenTherm® compatibility is offered only by the Receiver Box. The Thermostat will control heat demand as normal but will not show OpenTherm® specific boiler data on the display - Refer to the boiler instructions for how to view the boiler data.

How compatible it is, is debatable as "Control heat demand as normal" is a very vague expression. To meet the OT spec minimum requirements the boiler has to adust the CH flow temperature as instructed by the thermostat. The thermostat does not tell the boiler how to make the adustment - that's down to the boiler control system; it just tells the boiler what flow temp. is required. If the T4R is sending an actual flow temperature to the boiler then it's meeting the spec; but if it's just telling the boiler to turn on and off, depending on the room temp, then it's not meeting the OT spec.

OT specific boiler data is not too important as it's just displaying "useful?" information such as the flow and return temperatures. Depends on how nerdish you are.

A GSR will, hopefully, help by contacting Honeywell and asking what, exactly, the T4R does when controlling an OT boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back