Does this nib count as party wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a single skin party wall running between these two garages, however, does this nib coming out the front on my side count as part of the party wall or not? I believe not but I'm looking for some confirmation!

Thank you

image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
A party wall runs between two properties and not along the front or back.

For the purpose of the PW Act. there are no tie bricks, so no part of the party wall is in that section of wall in that photo.

Thank you both, although I think the answers might conflict?

The 100mm strip that lines up with the single skin wall is also the party wall.

Do you mean this front elevation of wall in the photo? Not quite sure what you mean by the 100mm strip.

A party wall runs between two properties and not along the front or back.

For the purpose of the PW Act. there are no tie bricks, so no part of the party wall is in that section of wall in that photo.

Thats's good news, Woody, and as I thought. So basically I can sit a lintel on my side of this wall, dig foundations shallower than next door and then no party wall agreement would be required.

Sponsored Links
So basically................dig foundations shallower than next door and then no party wall agreement would be required.
And if you should find the need to go deeper just keep quiet and wack your concrete in pronto.

Woody - what do you mean by tie bricks?

Noseall - for my understanding, why would a foundation need to go more than a neighbour's extension?

[QUOTE="ey143, post: 3487582, member: 209791"

Noseall - for my understanding, why would a foundation need to go more than a neighbour's extension?[/QUOTE]
I can't remember the last time we built a building that didn't have the foundation deeper than the existing.

But as someone who doesn't know more about this, I'm curious. If neighbour's extension was built in the last 10 years, and with ground conditions being the same as neighbour's, why not match it, why go more? Is there a construction reason?

Last edited:
But as someone who doesn't know more about this, I'm curious. If neighbour's extension was built in the last 10 years, and with ground conditions bring the same as neighbour's, why not match it, why go more? Is there a construction reason?
There are circumstances where you need yo go deeper,yes.
One being any drains within close proximity to the foundation, in that you would need to go deeper than the drain invert, irrespective of what depth the drain is.

The ground under the neighbour's foundations, the accuracy of their build or inspection, or the opinion of the new inspector (taking account of new industry knowledge or standards) will determine how deep foundations need to be.

A different job built at a different time is no benchmark to work to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back