Does this quote seem rediculous or is it me???

I can't help but think things have gone a little off topic here....

REGARDING THE QUOTE AND ORIGINAL TEXT:

The quote of £3k + VAT you (Yellowduck) have been given does appear excessive given the fact that the machinery is already supplied and that the the garage is presumed as non asbestos at this point. However there could be an argument in relation to the weight but given that there are plenty of places that will take it cheap to sell as crush disposal is not that difficult.

REGARDING THE ASBESTOS:

As a homeowner the guidance on asbestos from the perspective of the HSE is a tad gray and does little to explain the "can do's" in this respect - it is aimed more towards commercial properties and duty of care.

I would highly recommend that alternative quotes are sort and different methods investigated. As a MD of a Licensed asbestos company I would never suggest that asbestos is buried in any manner - it might be a better option to remove the sheets yourself and then simply have a company with a waste carriers licence collect the sheets. £30/sheet plus potential travel is a good measure for costing.

The VAT is a pain as this adds money were you can do little to claim it back although I believe there are avenues that can help you reclaim it - I am not however an accountant so this would need verifying elsewhere.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
White asbestos is no more dangerous within the ground as above it. It does not break down and does not produce toxic leachate.

As the owner of the website you have quoted, I would like to clarify why the information we have provided is not "bo***x".

Whilst it may be correct that there may be no hazard if the asbestos is left undisturbed it is very possible that an unsuspecting person may dig the ground at a later date - perhaps as a gardener or digging foundations for an extension. In such as example the person could very easily uncover and disturb (break) the asbestos fibres making them friable. In turn this potentially presents a serious health hazard to that person. It is therefore the responsible thing to ensure that the waste is disposed of correctly within the Health & Safety Executives Guidelines.

I would also like to be clear that there are no safe form of asbestos, regardless of colour.

We've had several asbestos components carted away. None of the guys collecting it wear any special clothes and no respiritory gear either. The stuff was thrown straight into the back of the van.

We would never deal with asbestos in this manner and it should, at a minimum, be bagged in polythene and taped up before being moved. We would also ensure that out operatives wore the correct PPE including (at minimum) a P3 mask and type 5/6 overalls.

I like the link to the Company who removes asbestos at a huge fee, saying it is not illegal to bury it, but trying to put the fear of God into you at the same time

I am not aware that you (or any other user here) has approached us for a quote to remove such asbestos so it's unclear how it has been ascertained that we charge a "huge fee". As for trying to put the "fear of God" into customers, that simply isn't true. Asbestos is an extremely hazardous material which kills thousands of people every year. The HSE are very clear about how people can have asbestos removed. If people want to employ the services of a licensed company to so this for them they have the choice - it is a competitive (highly regulated) market and this helps to ensure prices remain reasonable to the consumer. We would also recommend that people obtain multiple quotes as the price the OP has been quoted does seem excessive.

We therefore stand by our comments that asbestos should not be buried in a garden, if nothing else to protect people in the future. Anyone who has any doubts about asbestos removal or management should refer to the HSE website which contains a plethora of accurate information.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/managing/intro.htm[/quote]

We would never deal with asbestos in this manner

"We"

Typical. It's in your interests to make out asbestos is as dangerous sounding as it possibly could be. Why don't you go all the way and place and ad? :rolleyes:

Clearly I used the word "we" to refer to our Company.

As for placing an advert - of course we wouldn't do that. We didn't ask to be quoted on this forum, instead a bonafide member quoted us and we are simply responding to your criticism.

I'm sorry you feel that we have somehow done something wrong here but with the utmost respect we are the licensed asbestos contractors approved but the HSE and we are consulted by many major contractors within the UK as a respected company who offer professional - and balanced - advice.

Sponsored Links
I hasten to add, if I do 'lose' the roofing sheets under the block and beam floor of the extension, I will not put up a sign saying 'asbestos buried here'...lol

Sure, so some poor sod in the future can unknowingly run a stihl saw through them during some building project and end up standing in a cloud of the stuff?

Have a conscience and stop being so antisocial. I hope the local street urchins kick a football through your window every week.

I can't help but think things have gone a little off topic here....

Welcome to the Internet ;)

The quote of £3k + VAT you (Yellowduck) have been given does appear excessive given the fact that the machinery is already supplied and that the the garage is presumed as non asbestos at this point.

I agree..

Yellow duck, you seem to have all the necessary equipment to take the garage down, why not just order a 16 ton RORO skip and load it in?

The VAT is a pain as this adds money were you can do little to claim it back although I believe there are avenues that can help you reclaim it - I am not however an accountant so this would need verifying elsewhere.
Only if it's a new build.. ?

I've recently had a quote to demolish my garage (of similar size) that does not have asbestos for £1500+VAT. To be honest I thought this was steep!

I'm in the North West and prices will differ depending on where you are. Don't forget the fee is also for disposal/clearing of the site, anyone can smash a garage down it's getting rid of the rubble that's a pain (and breaking up the concrete base)!

From what you've said I suspect the builder has quoted on the assumption it IS an asbestos roof (despite what you've told him) in order to cover himself... not entirely unreasonable but annoying if you've asked for a quote assuming it does not.

As with everything, get at least 3 quotes to make sure you're not being taken for a ride

I also have a pre-fab garage that needs demolishing. The roof is asbestos. I've gone several different routes trying to find the cheapest way. I tried getting quotes for the whole thing (silly money). I tried asking for skips that I can put asbestos in (one place was charging £900 for 6-yard). I have no problem to bury the asbestos, but I'd rather not have to dig a hole in the first place!

I had to dig a little to find out about the council facilities but they are pretty good. I have a trailer permit for the local tip which you can get for free. Basically I'm allowed 12 visits per year with a trailer full of stuff, assumed to be DIY waste. Doesn't seem to matter what's in the trailer, so long as they can tick off each visit they're happy and there's no charge. This is done by vehicle reg, so they just put my reg number in the computer when I visit. I think there is an upper limit on the length of the trailer, approx 2.8M IIRC.

If I choose to, I can fill the trailer with asbestos sheets on a visit, however there are a few restrictions:
1) It has to all be double-wrapped in 1000 gauge polythene and taped.
2) They don't assist with any handling, I have to shift it myself
3) The asbestos skip is only available on specific days, so you have to ring and book in the visit.
4) The asbestos skip is smaller than the other bins, so the asbestos needs to fit.

I've purchased a pair of cheapo bolt croppers, so I don't have to put the grinder anywhere near the roof sheets. I do have a p3 powered respirator, but I have no intention of using it for this job unless I find I have to break the sheets to get them into the council skip (need to check measurements on that).

As others have said in this thread, there is a lot of panicking about the dangers of asbestos, however I suspect you'll find most of the people dying now have been exposed to ridiculously high levels of the stuff, working with power tools in industry without protection (not to mention the poor women who had to wash their clothes). I wonder what studies, if any, have been conducted for people who are being careful, never use power tools, spray bits of asbestos with water before working on them and so on.

As for leaving stuff for future generations, most bathroom fitters are doing just that when they install cement boards, the only difference being you'll get silicosis when you drill it instead of asbestosis. I've come to the conclusion that any building work is hazardous, and you can't really get away from it. Even concrete dust will kill you if you have enough of it, builders should wear masks all day every day, mixing cement powder, any kind of grinding, blasting, wood sawing you name it. One guy burying some asbestos is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things.

As others have said in this thread, there is a lot of panicking about the dangers of asbestos...
Fairly balanced post but this bit is a worry. When the average builder talks about asbestos not being as dangerous as people make out they are specifically referring to asbestos cement boards. This is a type of material which contains 2% or 3% of chrysotile asbestos (AKA white asbestos) bound in a cement matrix. It is true this type of material is relatively harmless when handled sensibly. The fibre itself is less harmful and the cement matrix generally prevents it floating about in the air. The HSE recognises this type of material as a special case. But this should not be confused with the other types of asbestos which are very, very nasty indeed, and WILL kill you - even in small quantities. I know of not one single builder that would mess around with this stuff. Period. So unless people know what type of asbestos they are dealing with I suggest caution until they do know.

Personally I would remove the roof and take it to the tip.. wearing the p3 respirator.. around the fixing bolts it may have broken down thus particles.. Also just by uninstalling it you will be disturbing it. For the sake of wearing a respirator for a day if you all ready have one and some disposable 5/6. You know you are not potentially killing yourself or your loved ones.. Ohh and whilst you do make sure you keep it wet.. Saves fibres however lowER risk they are from becoming airborne. If you want to be extra safe and Depending where you are in Essex, you can get some asbestostrip fluid from Safety Industries in Romford.
it's better than water as it encapsulates and increases (somehow) the surface tension of the fibres./ saves them becoming airborne so easily.

As for the disposal.. I wouldnt even consider skips or the hastle of digging a hole.. .. and for me a skip would be out of the question unless you have either masses of asbestos (or a poorly maintained asbestos facility at dump). The cost for skip i find is always ludicrous. here for a 2-16Yd with a 2T allowance I think it was around £645 ex and then £50 admin and then 150/ tonne thereafter. The costs is not so much the landfill as given the convenience 150/Tonne is not so bad. Its just how much they want to drop off the darn thing (£450)!
Do be aware though, and i hope its not the case but going down to the asbestos bin at the dump may be 1000 times more dangerous than removing your roof. I know at the one local to me it's ludicrous with unbagged stuff everywhere. Its so bad you can almost find it by just looking at the floor and following the increased amount of debris as you approach it. Even some just left by the side of the bin (lagging and all). To be honest it should be condemned. Unfortunately though where the council is involved HSE seem to take a blind eye..

With the demolishing.. why dont you organise the removal yourself. A grab shouldnt cost all that much given it will all be recylcable. Just depends how far away you are. You could just get them to requote on bringing down and taking to front.

How close are you to neighbours? Assuming not too close, with a JCB on site.. I presume you mean road licensed one as oposed a 1 OR 1.5t... couldn't you just bring the garage down with that (maybe with jaw crusher attachment) and load into a dumper (aprox £200 PW for a 3T)? If you have that kind of kit there the job should be a doddle.

As for comments on clarity of DIY asbestos removal. I thought it was fairly clear in the sense that you were able to remove it. It had to be disposed of in the correct guidlines double bag yadayadayad.. although proof of the same was not required. You were not allowed to employ other people but unpaid help is acceptable. but in more serious cases (not garage roof) an air quality test would be needed before other (paid) trades could follow.

3k to remove that.. crazy expenisive considering whats on site..

Good luck..

One thing that I do strongly disagree with is:

"One guy burying some asbestos is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things."

Given that i've been the one to sit there and dig the stuff up (cement bound) whilst weeding on an allotment.. and to further that my 4 year old son was playing right next to me..

Oh.. and on another occasion whilst breaking through a ramp (council installed) noted some strange blue specs.. only to dig a little further to realise it was blue asbestos lagging..

re hiding under floor boards.. well again first hand experience with the debris left by plumbers (that I hope will have a long and painfull death.) that just dumped the lagging under the floor boards, and left encapsulated fibers/ lagging all over the place..

Lots of things kill. cars, alcohol, asbestos but in each case it is the mishandling of the same that is the cause of the unnecesery death.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back