Does this switch have a fuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ha ha, really good, that's very funny.

I thought perhaps you would say "because the CPC of the T&E is attached to an earthing point at the other end" (and describe how)

but apparently not.

Sponsored Links
This guy is a knob, why are we bothering answering his questions - at least when it goes wrong all the other residents know who to blame!

~ The TV amplifier is fed by the white T&E between the switch and black connector box. The cable terminates in a socket just before the amplifier
~ The switch box receives its earth down this T&E

Got it. acmedone doesn't understand the meaning of the word "receives"

He's also an arrogant, patronising, offensive git.

You're right, we are wasting our time.

I'm out.

Sponsored Links
This guy is a knob, why are we bothering answering his questions - at least when it goes wrong all the other residents know who to blame!

Very well, one person has answered the question in the title.

I have described a system I have to assume was installed by someone trading as a professional electrician. Someone, let's remind you that failed to connect earths properly, if at all. So, how do you think it affects my opinion of the trade? In general, do you think the bandwidth used up in this thread has done anything to raise the game? Well, no. Perhaps it's just bluff to make it easier to cover up other mistakes.

A little bit of knowledge and all that!!!

As I've said before, I bet this guy doesn't mess with gas, but they're more than willing to poke about at 240v

I have described a system I have to assume was installed by someone trading as a professional electrician.
You assume wrongly.

What actually happened was that many years ago the original installation was done properly, and then one day the Venner timeswitch (which would have been screwed to the wall to the left of the metal switch) broke, and rather than pay to have it repaired or replaced, some bodger decided to have a go at fixing it themselves using a £2 plug in timer and the flex cut off of an old vacuum cleaner.

When it was plugged in, the fuse blew due to a fault on the lighting circuit (which is probably what damaged the original timer), so the wires were hagged around in various combinations until the lights switched on, and the cables someone decided were faulty were disconnected and cut off.

The only testing done was a bang test, and of course none of it was notified to anyone.

Now someone appears and wants to fix things - but once again wants to do it all themselves after asking people on a DIY forum how to do it, and not pay someone what would actually be a fairly small amount of money to do the job properly.

I have described a system I have to assume was installed by someone trading as a professional electrician.
You assume wrongly.

The original installation had four sheathed cables coming out of the black box. Two have been cut back, only one is now active. Each light had a push button delay switch.

At some point the supply cables rising out of the floor were replaced by those coming out of the trunking. So the object between the switch and black box was probably the original meter.

I do not know whether the two changes took place at the same time. The flats became freehold in 2007 so the modifications would have been made under a landlord and management company.

The TV lead would have been added after original installation - one of the white T&E which finishes at a socket on the 2nd floor, hence the question about the fuse.

It is difficult to ascertain how the box and sheaths were originally connected to earth other than that now they are not. I will speculate that it had something to do with the change of the supply so professional work is not entirely ruled out.

Now someone appears and wants to fix things
Of course I want it fixed. Is that not sensible?

- but once again wants to do it all themselves after asking people on a DIY forum how to do it,
Once again someone jumps to conclusions. It would be nice to know what the changes might look like. You think I would alter the system on the sly without the other flat owners knowledge?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back