Dogs in lockdown.

Sponsored Links
Why would anyone choose to have such a creature live with them?

Curious aspect is that once most try owning a dog lots do for ever after. We've had 4 in total and dogs in general do not live as long as us. Each time one has died we have tried to resist having another - the past. It leaves a big hole in the household that is unbelievably noticeable so never lasts long so no resistance at all when we bought the last one and not much between any of them other than the first one which was an rspca problem dog. Shepherds are problematic as they may try to dominate but as my nan had one that used to take me for a walk around Aston park and do other things I have a weakness for them - ;) it's rubbed off on the family. I am concerned about how hard our latest one can pull if she wants to but we all wanted another.

We have had 3 German Shepherds. All trained to crap in our garden. The current one isn't 100% but not far off. There main interest is attention, play and being able to watch what we are doing and some running around in the garden which isn't large. Then from time to time they get a real bound around in a park etc. 2 of them were pre owned problem dogs so always on a training lead if there was anyone else around especially other dogs as they can be a bit rough. ;) The latest one is also on a training lead as well, more just in case but she managed to snap her collar a few weeks ago and I was really glad she just came back to me when called. :) She barks way too much so have had 2plus years so far trying to fix that. Loosing battle, very quiet barks and various noises for a while and then back to normal.

This is a breed that is said to need stacks and stacks of exercise - been there and done that and it doesn't make an iota of difference. :) Also said to be ideal for the retired as they like company - that is true so needs to go with us really where ever we go. ;) We have a crate now that I have reinforced myself for when we need it - not often. She's demolished 2 others just because we were not in the house.

Why would anyone choose to have such a creature live with them?

I agree with EFLI on this one.

Each to their own, and fair play to you for caring for dogs that others would not. But, this particular partnership seems to be pretty detrimental to both parties; these are big and boisterous dogs that need lots of time, attention, and room. By your own admission, you don't have the room for them, so take them to a park (which again is a compromise for them, as it would be unfair on other park users to have such dogs bounding around, on the loose).
One barks a lot which, if it doesn't p!zz the neighbours off, surprises me.

Sponsored Links
I agree with EFLI on this one.

Each to their own, and fair play to you for caring for dogs that others would not. But, this particular partnership seems to be pretty detrimental to both parties; these are big and boisterous dogs that need lots of time, attention, and room. By your own admission, you don't have the room for them, so take them to a park (which again is a compromise for them, as it would be unfair on other park users to have such dogs bounding around, on the loose).

They get all over the place at times, beaches, fields and etc. Seems strange that all of our dogs are happy and actually the neighbours don't mind the barks. Do you know how often and where? No so don't jump to conclusions. Over exercised shepherds also always get joint pains, serious ones so before commenting obtain some correct information.

Seems strange that all of our dogs are happy and actually the neighbours don't mind the barks. Do you know how often and where? No so don't jump to conclusions.

I'm not jumping to conclusions; I'm responding to what you wrote.
By your own admission, she barks too much for you, such that you've spent two years trying to tone it down. If you, the adoring owner, thinks it too much, I doubt the neighbours appreciate it.

She barks way too much so have had 2plus years so far trying to fix that. Loosing battle,.....

and actually the neighbours don't mind the barks.

Yes, they do.

They are just being polite.

Or just don't fancy approaching "the bloke with the three big dogs" about it?
Or. could it even be "the hothead with the three big dogs"? After all, you got very touchy about your dogs, when I (quite politely; I applauded you for taking on, by your own admission, "problem dogs", .......that "can be a bit rough;)"), expressed my reservations on your situation.

2 of them were pre owned problem dogs so always on a training lead if there was anyone else around especially other dogs as they can be a bit rough. ;)

I absolutely love dogs, however, a barking dog next door can't ever be ok. Soz, I also think they're being polite.

Well, since the pubs shut, our's isn't home. Went to find her yesterday and yep, up her fav tree hiding from the lockdown police :)
20200402_141731-01.jpeg

By your own admission, she barks too much for you,

Yes for me. Like most dog owners I expect a certain level of behaviour. Our postman reckons all dogs bark as she does. Has a theory on why as well. My view on that score is some barking is ok but carrying on after leaving the room and then hiding when I come back because she knows she will be told off isn't ok. That is just for a verbal telling off as well.

Then comes what will cause her to bark. The vet for instance isn't a good idea. Something unusual going on next door is a little different but just how much barking for things like that is ok, currently too much at the moment.

No dog I am aware of barks all of the time.

No dog I am aware of barks all of the time.
We worked at a house where the neighbours dog began barking minutes after the owner left the house and kept it going all fekking day. Yap - yap - yap - ALL DAY LONG. She wasn't aware either because she was out all day, as were the neighbours.

Is it illegal to remove a dogs larynx?

Our neighbours dogs barking gets on our wick. Not so much in the daytime but she lets it out the garden around 7.00 am and stands there while it barks. Same thing 11.30 at night. Sometimes my wife will have enough of it and go out and shout a very loud Shhhhhhhhhhh and she takes it straight inside. Don’t want to fall out as she has mental problems and avoids eye contact if we meet in the street. Her husband is as nice a pie though and will always stop for a chat.

My mate has been adopted by a stray cat, it’s been visiting on and off for a couple of years but has permanently adopted him for the last 6 months. He made a home for it by laying an old fur rug inside one of his granddaughters old toy houses.

9B90B63E-D775-4E05-A325-C65ACC1EFED7.jpeg

Last edited:
I absolutely love dogs, however, a barking dog next door can't ever be ok. Soz, I also think they're being polite.

Dead right. Plenty of slimeballs out there who see it as their God-given right to inflict their racket on others, day and night. Doesn't matter whether it's dogs, music or regular loud parties. The perpetrators need educating, with the aid of a Louisville Slugger if necessary.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back