domestic builders work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening all,

I am doing some research into private residential / domestic builders work and would greatly appreciate it if you could offer some advice on reasons why a customer would be put off with proceeding with builders work despite having the money available for the work and acknowledging the disruption thati the work would cause to their day to day life.

Below are some of the main reasons why I believe customers are often put off by employing builders / tradesmen.

1 - The customer doesn't have a good knowledge of construction and / or how long a project of their scope should take. The customer therefore feels vulnerable that the project will drag on months longer than it should whilst the builder works on multiple projects.

2 - The customer doesn't know the acceptable standard of work or where contracted work finishes and variations start and therefore feel vulnerable to being charged way in access of their agreed sum.

3. The customer doesn't have knowledge of the commercial aspect of construction meaning that they do not know what is expensive or cheap and leave themselves at risk of being taken advantage of.

Your insight on the above would be much appreciated

Thanks,

LondonPM

Sponsored Links
2 and 3 for me. plus a lack of indemnity insurance in case they turn your £1m home in to rubble and don't have sufficient assets to sue for

Good grief you mean there are actually builders out there who do domestic work? Wonders will never cease. I want three walls plastering in my spare bedroom. I have tried 5 different builders so far. Only one had the good manners to reply to my phone message (no way could I get any of them to actually talk to me). he came down said he would give me a quote and that was the last I heard from him. the other 4 didn't even bother to reply. I eventually bought fitted wardrobes which cover three quarters of the problem and the used MDF boards and thick vinyl wall paper for the rest. Not ideal I know but builders, waste of space.

Sponsored Links
Good grief you mean there are actually builders out there who do domestic work? Wonders will never cease. I want three walls plastering in my spare bedroom. I have tried 5 different builders so far. Only one had the good manners to reply to my phone message (no way could I get any of them to actually talk to me). he came down said he would give me a quote and that was the last I heard from him. the other 4 didn't even bother to reply. I eventually bought fitted wardrobes which cover three quarters of the problem and the used MDF boards and thick vinyl wall paper for the rest. Not ideal I know but builders, waste of space.
I look forward to seeing the pictures of your new extension, made out of lolly sticks and sticky backed plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back