Domestic Electrical Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first time poster so go easy please.

I am looking at buying a house and have a few questions about the electrical install with regards to regualtions.

One house i am quite keen on seems ok, but has had some work done. They have removed an old warm air heating system and replaced with a boiler, now located in the attached garage. I notice that none of the wiring (both for general power and lighting, or for the boiler system) is in any containment (just attached to the walls/ceilings). Is this right?

I also noted that the cable route into the house has been run adjacient to the new LPHW (low pressure hot water) pipes, again all with no containment.

Also, what are the implication of Part P for electrical works carried out by the previous owners?

TA

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pictures for us to take a look at?

The best course of action would be to get an NICEIC registered electrician to carry out a Periodic Inspection Roport for the property. This will tell you what state the installation is in, and what work if any needs doing to the installation.

Sorry, can't post any pictures, its a house I am thinking about making an offer on.

Yes get a Periodic Inspection Report on the whole of the instalation.

Sponsored Links
Stabilo said:
I also noted that the cable route into the house has been run adjacient to the new LPHW (low pressure hot water) pipes, again all with no containment.
nothing wrong with surface clipped wiring (though it is bloody ugly) but it should be far enough from anything hot to not be adversely effected (or possiblly be a special cable type but this is fairly unlikely domestically)

Stabilo said:
Also, what are the implication of Part P for electrical works carried out by the previous owners?
unless you feel like being vindictive and looking for very thin on the ground evidence just assume it was all done before part P's introduction.

plugwash said:
Stabilo said:
nothing wrong with surface clipped wiring (though it is b****y ugly) but it should be far enough from anything hot to not be adversely effected (or possiblly be a special cable type but this is fairly unlikely domestically)

Stabilo said:
unless you feel like being vindictive and looking for very thin on the ground evidence just assume it was all done before part P's introduction.

Cheers thanks for that info

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back