Pricing Domestic Electrical work

T

Tonyx

Does anyone know of a good place to get a general guide to pricing electrical work? I know prices can vary from area to area but, I am looking to get some rough ideas for pricing electrical work in and near London as a Niceic Domestic Installer. Any help would be very much appreciated. Also, is it generally better to charge an hourly rate or a fixed price per job? From your experience, what do customers generally prefer?

Many thanks.

Tonyx

Sponsored Links
6 of one, half a dozen of the other..
if you charge a price, then they think you're overpricing it, if you do it by the hour, they think you're swinging the lead to make it last longer...

Surely if the NICEIC were as great as they like to make out, they'd offer some kind of standard pricing structure to their installers / contractors

can't have a standard price. every house is different and every job is different..

adding a socket..

Example 1

partition wall, new socket to go next to / back to back with another socket..
easy job.. fast fix box, take leg out of existing socket and link between old and new..

Example 2

engineering brick wall, socket on other side of room, concrete floor and room above is bathroom with italian marble tile floor.
not an easy job.. dig channel into concrete floor, or try and fish through floor space from adjacent room.. diamond blade grinder to cut in backbox and cable chase..

Sponsored Links
Surely if the NICEIC were as great as they like to make out, they'd offer some kind of standard pricing structure to their installers / contractors

That statement just shows how little you understand the variance of work from one property to the other, or one town to the next.

It might work in Milton Keynes where 1 builder built 20,000 houses of near similar construction. Even then it doesn't account for fixed floor via tiles, laminate, engineering wood.
So if my house is minimalist furniture and yours is laden down- would you expect me to price the same for sub floor access ?

My rule,

If the house has electric gates and a tradesman's entrance

Find the Aston Martin/Bentley/Bugatti with the personalised number plate.

Take the number from the plate, add noughts until you get a large number

That's your quote

I do this a lot, but then I live & work in Henley-on-Thames (don't you know). This method may not work too well elsewhere!

I think we have a different sort of electric gates around here.

Each side of the gate is wired to a different phase. ;)

I think that the BBC published a book showing what householders should expect to pay for various typical jobs around the house.
Cannot remember the name though, could try the library.

When I first started out on my own I phoned a few local sparks to ask rough prices eg CCU upgrade, PIR and hourly rates.

At least you'll know what your competition is charging!

SB

Oh should have said that I was posing as a customer!

This topic is in the wrong forum - it has nothing whatsoever to do with electrics in the UK.

Should all London based work be charges as they do at Pimlico Plumb ?

General Trades (inc sparks) per hour

£80 7am - 6pm Mon - Fri

£130 6pm - 12am Saturday

£170 7am - 12am Sunday

No - I'd feel like I was robbing people! Mind you I won't work in central London/CC zone, so I guess some of the price is to account for that.

Sunday 8 hours x £170 = £1360 :eek:

And there's no congestion charging and plenty of free parking on Sundays :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back