Pricing

BL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been working on my own for a number of months now doing mostly commercial and domestic work. Thing is I am struggling with pricing. It is always guesswork and I am going to have to start pricing by point like the rest of the world as i have hit a few jobs recently where I have made no profit at all.

I know the different areas vary greatly but any help would be appreciated. What would youse roughly price for power points, lighting points and would these include the switch, moving power points, replacing the fronts etc. Also how much would you add when you have to do the tracking yourself as this is what is costing me.

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
By the way I am in Northern Ireland so the part p thing isnt needed so dont need to notify the LABC so them costs are null.

Price per hour? Or for longer jobs, per day.

Then add materials on top and provide an itemised quote / invoice.

Customers feel better if they know where their money has gone, as opposed to handing over a lump sum.

• Thanks
Reactions: BL
add up all the materials, then add a percentage, add up all of your labour and then if you fancy a holiday add on a grand or two (dependant on destination) If may make replacing a broken socket for someone quite expensive though.

Sponsored Links
Look at their car number plate, bung a nought on the end and that's your price.

lol or add another nought if the car is worth more than your house :D

I think £60 per socket, £50 per lighting point is somewhere about right atm.
The more you do it the more you will become familiar with prices and how long you expect it to take you.

OR

1. Decide how much you want per hour
2. Predict how long the job will take you (round up to nearest hour)
3. Add book prices for materials (you will then profit the discount you get). Use screwfix catalogue as a guide.
4. Round up to allow for travelling expenses.
5. Don't get greedy.

If you can do all that in your head or right there while looking at the job you will look more professional, like you know what you are doing.

• Thanks
New builds and "bare wall" type extensions are reasonably easy to price.

The tricky bit is with refurbs where you really don't know what the size of the task is until the carpets come up and you can see under the floorboards.
For those I will usually only give an estimate and charge a day rate plus materials.

If you do quote, make it detailed and say EXACTLY what you will do for the money. Any extras, additions and changes should be agreed in writing otherwise there will be a big arguement at the end. This includes the spec of fixtures and fittings, a chrome dimmer is way more expensive than a white plastic one....

• Thanks
I think £60 per socket, £50 per lighting point is somewhere about right atm.

Would that be including trcking the walls and £50 per lightig point seems a bit expensive if they want one light shanged to 6 downlights
:D

Quotations are a skill to to learnt like any other

but remember its easy to loose money or do the job for nothing

difficult thing is making the right money, i've priced jobs and thought ideal a sensible profit to be made on this one and lost money.

I tend to let the people who want a cheap job go else where... but you need a customer base before you can do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back