Domestic Fire Alarm circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't find diagrams or details of Fire Alarms in the REFERENCE section?
Please can you give a quick outline of erecting a domestic circuit to current regs.

Is fire alarm circuit all done in red pyro cable, on a daisy chain?

Is this circuit protected by a 6a MCB/RCD?

Am I right to believe its optical sensors in all living spaces apart from kitchen where sensor is heat activated?

Sponsored Links
Is fire alarm circuit all done in red pyro cable, on a daisy chain?

Depends what type of fire alarm you're talking about. If you are referring to stand-alone smoke/heat alarms in a domestic environment then there is absolutely no requirement for heat/fireproof cable.

Red pyro as you called it, is actually FP200.

domestic premises used as domestic premises do not require a fire alarm

Sponsored Links
You're right, use FP200 on a 6A circuit, with unswitched spur. And daisy chain between sensors on the same zone. Different systems apply though. The easiest system to fit involves using the same 2C+E cable running between combined sensors/sounders, which are then switchable between heat/smoke/sounder settings. Also the last one on each zone can be switchable to be end-of-line. A Sabre alarm system is one example. Consider carefully how you arrange the zones.

Standard linking alarms for houses tend to feed from a lighting circuit, 6A.

LABC do ask for them when you do a loft conversion and expect to see 1 x kitchen and 1 x each hall space (grd, 1st, 2nd). They have to be linked together so from the 1st unit with the supply you need to run 3C+E in a daisy A- B. B- C etc...
Buy taking the feed from the light circuit you have an indication (no lights) if the circuit fails. Battery backup alarm units should be used.

MOH requirements require units to every occupied room and halls, kitchens etc (the only areas not required are bathrooms). LABC will offer guidance since rules do vary, some want panel alarms others will accept domestic units and some (Lincoln) only require alarms beyond the 1st floor.

The ones I have seen in other properties have used one of the ways in the CU. Sometimes a breaker and also seen a solid link (don't know the name for that).
If the circuit does not require fire resistant cable I can use conventional cable, but prefer the best practice method over price if it allows!

Are you talking about linked smoke/heat detectors or a dedicated panel with battery backup, detectors and sounders?

Are you talking about linked smoke/heat detectors or a dedicated panel with battery backup, detectors and sounders?

Nothing that complicated for the house I would hope, just the requirements met with best practice.
Three bedroom house.

So is that neither of the 2 suggestions?

If not then what?

Red pyro as you called it, is actually FP200.

Red pyro is not FP200, it's a totally different cable.
You need to ask the OP what he means and until then pyro is MICC.

people see "a red cable" and assume it must be pyro, quite often its not, its FP200.

i never said red cable is pyro, i said "red pyro as you called it" in this case You being the OP

pyro is MICC

a hoover is a vacuum cleaner

Pyro is to MICC what hoover is to a vaccum cleaner

Pyro and Hoover are brand names.

MICC and Vacuum cleaner are what they are (respectively)

a hoover is a vacuum cleaner

Pyro is to MICC what hoover is to a vaccum cleaner

Pyro and Hoover are brand names.

MICC and Vacuum cleaner are what they are (respectively)

So how do you come to the conclusion that red pyro is FP200? :confused:

Did you edit your last post?

if i edited anything you would see "last edited by breezer at...."

I also suggest you read the post again, s-l-o-w-l-y, and read what is infront of you.

I never said red pyro is FP200.

if i edited anything you would see "last edited by breezer at...."

If you were still the last poster at the time of edit then no it wouldn't.

I also suggest you read the post again, s-l-o-w-l-y, and read what is infront of you.

Will do but I think you may have a problem with a sticky - key.

I never said red pyro is FP200.

Red pyro as you called it, is actually FP200

How did you know what he meant?
Maybe he was talking about MICC which is used commercially and industrially.
You're normally the one who posts a picture of a guy with a glass ball. Maybe it's rubbed off?
For the record, red pyro is not FP200.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back