Commercial Fire Alarm systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps

Does anyone have or could provide a basic diagram for a commercial fire alarm system.

What i'm trying to do is get a bit of knowledge on is how the whole thing cabled up and connected together.

Don't panic I'm not going to be doing it, just I sometimes do some shop fitting with a mate and he has always done the fire alarm before he calls me in so never had anything to do with it.

I've found a few bits and it appears they are 'radial' circuits linking the detectors, call points and sounders for each zone back to the panel and then naturally when one is activated the rest are activated throught the panel.

I think the ones I've seen are managed by PROTEC but would assume they are all fairly similar.

Any pointers and/or diagrams would be greatly welcomed

Cheers

Sponsored Links
With fully addressable systems virtually anything is possible with regard to what activates what. Any combination of periphals are available to close doors, solenoids etc.
Also sprinkler systems are common in commercial systems where the pressure in the system is monitored (and kept via a jockey pump) and the bursting of a sprinkler head will cause the main pumps to start (with diesel back-up if necessary) and any other signals (evacuation etc)
With the addressable system a complete zone can be wired with one cable but individual items can be disabled if required.

Not what you want to hear but you really need to go on a proper training course for fire alarm and even smoke detector installations.

If you do not have at least a good idea of how they are wired/work then get on a course before making any assumptions based on arbitrary drawings you might see. There are huge repercussions for getting it wrong.

Try the websites for the panel and detecter manufacturers, most will have a basic diagram for there stuff and most wire similar although terminals may be different,
The main thing to get right is the input and output cables especially with diode bases as the diode alllows further points to operate stilll even with a head removed.

http://www.klaxonsignals.com/techinfo/SonosWiringDiagrams.pdf

Sponsored Links
Protecs alarms are mainly completely addressable systems now.

If you go on there website here you will find wiring diagrams, manuals etc to download and read.

Spartikus, you're absolutely right and I will be looking tomorrow.:)

Cheers everyone else, the addressable systems I have come across, thanks for your help chaps.

Spartikus, you're absolutely right and I will be looking tomorrow.:)

Thanks. I hope I did not come across as harsh. I can see that you have lots of electrical experience. It is just that I am a great believer in proper formal training and certification especially for services that offer "safety" to the public/private dwellings etc. It is red tape but you can't beat it :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back