Domestic Fire Detector Rcommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering changing the smoke detectors in my house - they are from when the house was built in 2000 and I understand they should be changed every so often. I am not sure whether they are ionisation or optical types so I am looking for recommendations for type and manufacturer.

One detector is in the hall and the other is on the landing - both are mains powered and interlinked. I am also considering adding one to the garage and this could be hardwired to the existing detectors without too much trouble

Sponsored Links
What do you have now?

Usually specified on the smoke heads with product details.

Ionisation smoke alarms are now being phased out across the entire fire safety industry, from standalone domestic alarms to detectors in the largest commercial panel systems. This is because they use radioactive material in the sensor to detect the presence of smoke particles in the air, making them dangerous to manufacture, awkward and costly to transport, and an environmental hazard if disposed of incorrectly.

Ionisation smoke alarms were very effective for detecting fast-flaming fire. Historically, ionisation smoke detectors have been recommended for landings and office spaces, but the technology behind optical smoke alarms has now advanced to the point that they are interchangeable. Optical smoke alarms also are not deemed potentially hazardous like ionisation technology, due to not using radioactive elements.

Sponsored Links
What do you have now?

Usually specified on the smoke heads with product details.
I honestly do not know - it may be an old Kidde. I will have to have a look but at 22 years old I would guess at ionisation.
They are old and yellowed so thought that I would spruce the place up and add an exta heat detector to the garage
Ionisation smoke alarms are now being phased out across the entire fire safety industry, from standalone domestic alarms to detectors in the largest commercial panel systems. This is because they use radioactive material in the sensor to detect the presence of smoke particles in the air, making them dangerous to manufacture, awkward and costly to transport, and an environmental hazard if disposed of incorrectly.

Ionisation smoke alarms were very effective for detecting fast-flaming fire. Historically, ionisation smoke detectors have been recommended for landings and office spaces, but the technology behind optical smoke alarms has now advanced to the point that they are interchangeable. Optical smoke alarms also are not deemed potentially hazardous like ionisation technology, due to not using radioactive elements.
That is interesting. I have not looked into these until recently and optical seemed to be the only option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back