Domestic Gas pipe - Certification/Testing after re-route?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post on DIYnot and a bit of a tricky one at that.

Have just completed installation of a new kitchen in my own end-terrace property. I've completed the majority of the work myself (pat on back)but had a trusted friend offer to re-route the gas feed pipe (for free, not a tradesman) to existing boiler locating and new hob location.

And then I was informed about Gas Safe....

Yes its my own fault for not knowing the regs and rules I absolutely agree. It has left me annoyed with said friend as I later found out they knew perfectly well about the rules but didn't offer to inform me. I would have been more than happy to pay a registered engineer to do the work given how simple and easily accessible it was, and thankfully still is.

So my questions to you forumites are:

1) Given that only gas piping was re-routed (22mm down to 15mm copper through reduction coupler running a length of 5/6m in total from where it emerges from the solid floor with sweated joints (one t-joint, 3-4 elbows?) and a couple of compression joints), is there any certification required and if so, what is it called? The boiler itself was not modified in any way bar the connection the the existing 15mm copper gas feed.

2) If it is required, and I'm pretty sure it will be, who would be able and willing to test and certify the installation? The route of piping mentioned above is all still visible and accessible by hand for "bubble" testing and compression tightening of any joints.

I will say that for the friends lack of clarity, they have been fitting copper for gas/water for some 25 years, back in the day when this was perfomed by the DIYer (for better or worse). All to say that their joints are good, having soapy bubble tested and compression tightened all applicable joints myself.

3) What might this cost?

4) Is the local building authority notified following any certification? If so by who and what does that cost?

Thanks for your help in advance.

And no, I won't be letting said friend anywhere near my gas piping ever again...

Sponsored Links
Pipe work alone does not have to be notified but has to be done by a competent person. However if it had, no-one can give a certificate for other people's work. As RGI's we're members of a self certification scheme. The operative word being SELF. Being Gas Safe registered does not make you an inspector for the work of others.

Also your "friend has reduced the size of the pipe from 22mm to 15mm for a total of 6 meters, you may very well now have an undersized gas supply to the appliance, possibly making it unsafe.

Thanks for responses so far.

Tibbot; RGI equals Registered Gas Installer yes? Just to clarify your point, so pipe work alone does not need to be notified. Therefore does it need certification? If so, is anyone able to carry this out? LABC? If not, then what classifies as a competent person?

Dean7445; from the point of entry into the kitchen it is 2.9m horizontal of 22m then t-joint reducer. From the t joint it goes Vertical for 1.6m to boundary of the boiler on 15mm. From the t joint there is 3.6m of 15mm to entry to the hob. More than 6m but i took a guess! Would that be classed as undersized?

Another question out of interest, what sort of inspection and testing does an RGI (getting the lingo now...) undertake for this sort of job?

Again thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
All depends on the kW output of the appliances and the length and size of pipe from the meter.

The route of piping mentioned above is all still visible and accessible by hand for "bubble" testing and compression tightening of any joints.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbi...-testing-after-re-route.388867/#ixzz2peg5Ck2o

The compression fittings must remain accessable you cant cover them or box them in , if you want to do this you will have to get them changed to solder fittings

Ianmcd; Thanks for your response. The compression fittings are on the vertical run up to the hob and are behind the oven. However, the electric oven can be slid out for any test inspection. I can have it out in 30s. However, that said, its maybe academic if the installation is non-certified or un-certifiable.

There's another question, does this re-route being non-certified potentially invalidate any home insurance, if there was any form of gas related incident?

dean7445: Boiler is 28kw (http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/efficiency-tables.php?model=001711) and hob is approximately 7.5kw going on very similar product tech spec from same manufacturer (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/home-appliances/cooker-hobs/gas/GN642FFXD/XEU-spec). Length from meter to entry in kitchen is maybe 5m and in 22mm copper. Does that help on judgement over undersized/not? Again, possibly academic if non-certifiable. [/url]

There is no requirement in law for your installation to be tested or certified.

However, it might be worthwhile getting an RGI to come and assess the supply pressure at the boiler and to test and inspect the new pipework and to test for leaks and issue a Gas Safety Certificate.

A few RGIs might refuse if told it was a DIY installation but the G-S attitude is that its best tested and inspected regardless of who did the work. Testing it is to ensure that its not dangerous and not to "validate" illegal gas work!

That would put your mind at rest and prevent any insurance problems.

Of course if he identified any issues then he could correct them.

Seems a rather long length of 15mm feeding a 28 kW boiler.

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for such a clear and helpful comment. You were able to give the information with some confidence, are you an RGI yourself or just someone that's "been around" the process and scenario before?

I think a Gas Safety Certificate is exactly what I'm after and will seek out a good RGI for the job.

What is legally requried to be tested and certified then? Just Boiler installations? Don't worry I'm not about to go pipe something else together, I've learnt my lesson from this fiasco, I'm just curious!?

1.6m of 15mm may well be long but its actually shorter than the previous connection, the length of 22mm has actually been extended due to the re-route.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back